brake caliper sticking

Old 08-01-04, 05:38 AM
polarbear
Visiting Guest
brake caliper sticking

1991 Plymouth Voyageur, 3.3 litre.

I am having a problem with my drivers side caliper sticking. Sometimes if I pump the brakes several times is comes unstuck. When I drive down the road sometimes its ok and other times there is smoke coming from wheel and a burning smaell. I just put new pads on the vehicle but I have a serious worry. About a week before I did the brake job I stopped at a friends house and borrowed some brake fluid. I fear it was not brake fluid. The rubber inserts inside the master cylinder are swollen to the point I could not get the caps back on without difficulty. Im wondering if this blunder has cause the rubber in the caliper to swell and causing it to not function properly. Can I resolve this issue without going to great expense or am I in serious trouble?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-04, 06:10 AM
If it was not brake fluid you will need to replace the master cylinder,calipers,wheel cylinders,brake hoses,proportioning valve and abs brake pressure modulator valve if abs equipped.If you dropped a caliper while changing the pads I would flush out all the brake fluid and replace both calipers and front brake hoses and see if that fixes it.I would like to think your freind actually gave you brake fluid so do the hoses and calipers first.

Old 08-01-04, 06:52 AM
polarbear
Visiting Guest
thank you

Thanks for the info Davo. Im off to the local wrecker to find some good calipers and will pick up some hoses at Napa. Have a great day

Old 08-01-04, 10:31 AM
It would be better to rebuild yours or buy rebuilt calipers.Boneyards are not the best place to get calipers.

Old 08-02-04, 04:48 AM
polarbear
Visiting Guest
re: calipers

Thanks again davo. I have another couple questions. First of all I got a pair of calipers at the boneyard that were in good shape, recently install on a 91 Caravan. I got them for $5.00.

Now I am a guy who is in consatnt fear of frigging things up but let me give you a little background. I have several gas powered tools such as yamaha 3 wheeler, lawn tractor, chainsaws, outboard motor, weed whacker, water pump, generator etc. I manage to keep them all up and running on my own.

So, that being said is the rebuild of the calipers a difficult job and is there any special tools needed. I have the Haynes book #30010 for the vehicle and it seems to be fairly straight forward. Daniel

Old 08-02-04, 02:22 PM
No special tools are needed just make sure the bleeder screws come loose before you rebuild them.You will need a compessor and blow gun to remove the pistons or take them to someone and have them blow the pistons from the bore for you.If you don't mind wasting brake fluid hook them up to the brake hoses caliper of the knuckle but supported to keep from damaging the new hoses.Pump the brake pedal and the pistons will come out.You should do 1 side at a time leaving the other caliper installed.

Old 08-02-04, 04:38 PM
polarbear
Visiting Guest

Thanks again davo for the help. I would imagine with the bleeders I could heat them with the torch before removing them, yes , no? If they dont come out nicely could I not drill and tap them and add a threaded insert? I like messing with stuff.

Just on a personal note davo, I have just about every tool going. I asked ya about special tools cause I needed an excuse to go buy something. The link below is a photo of the van Im working on. Dont ask me why I choose a minivan. I painted it 3 weeks ago, put a new sound system in it. Now I would like to put some alloy wheels on it and then find out if there is a way to beef up the 3.3 litre.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ar/thevan1.jpg

Old 08-03-04, 10:08 PM
barstewart
Visiting Guest
brake caliper sticking

I'm game for all sorts of car repairs but when it comes to brakes, I don't fool around. Rebuilt calipers for many cars are dirt cheap on the after market. I think they're about $25-30 for my Chevy Celebrity. Rotors too. Made in China but they cost about the same as getting the old ones turned.

My son's Toyota had a semi-seized caliper and he kept running it until the plastic hubcap melted off. When I got to it, I couldn't even push the car on the level driveway. Didn't do his tranny (or gas mileage) much good either.

So, I say forget the wreckers and forget rebuiding them yourself. Some guy in Mexico has already done it for you.

Barry

Old 08-04-04, 11:31 AM
polarbear
Visiting Guest

Thanks for the help folks, problem resolved. master cylinder installed, each line flushed and bleed with fluid and up and running. Whew master cylinder was 15 dollars.

Just a note the fluid that caused the problem was determined to be tranny fluid. The little rubber inserts inside the master clyinder were about the size of a baseball when we took them out. All in all it was a good learning experience