Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tranny Grind for first 30 secs

Visiting Guest

08-01-04, 11:09 AM   #1  
IDMAN
Tranny Grind for first 30 secs

CAr Model:
Acura Integra 1992, 1.8 Automatic, non - Vtec

Problem:
- When I turn on engine, shift into [R]everse or [D]rive the tranmission grind, then stop, grind continue again when I begin move the vihicle for about about 15 feet and then the grinding gone completely.

- At stop sign when I come to complete stop there is no grinding when I start again. I tried shifting gears from park to.

Things I did when I found out:
Change tranny oil ( after 4 years me lazy)
Change engine oil after 3 moutnhs

The gears grinding did not stop, What could cause these grinding for the first 10-15 feet and when first shifting into gears from a cold start?

Liem Huynh

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-02-04, 04:29 PM   #2  
transman618
There are several possibilities for this. It could be the park pawl hitting the park gear, the differential inside the transmission case, CV shafts/joints, or any one of the gears itself. Sorry I cant be more specific but I would actually have to hear the noise to be sure. Let a transmission shop look at it. Gear grinding in Acura (Honda) automatics is not a good sign. Be prepared though, if the CV shafts/joints are ok the next step is going to be removal and disassembly of the transmission.

transman

Search this Thread