97 taurus a/c problem

Old 08-01-04, 02:30 PM
97taurusowner
Visiting Guest
97 taurus a/c problem

I own a 97 taurus. This summer I had to have a/c recharged for the first time. I took it on a trip and the charge lasted two weeks. It then blew hot air. The place, a reputable? a/c place, put in dye when they recharged it the first time before the trip. When I took it back after it blew hot air they told me that two weeks was not long enough for dye to show a leak. They filled up the a/c, it was down 1 lb as it was before when I initially had it recharged. The a/c recharge lasted two weeks. I then sent my wife in with the car and they said that the compressor seal was out and that a new compressor and dryer would be needed to fix it. Cost - about $700. My question is a two parter. First do seals go out that fast and does the whole compressor need to be replaced? The second is a cheap question. Would it be worth it to refill the a/c myself as it leaks. The $700 is too steep for me right now. Hopefully next spring I can afford it. What are you thoughts? Would I do more damage to system by refilling it myself? I figure I would need to put in a lb once every two-three weeks until October (when I should not need it) - as this was the amount they refilled each two week segment to finally diagnose it.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-04, 04:59 PM
Constant running low on refrigerant will damage the compressor. My biggest concern is that they may have missed a leaking evaporator which is an even bigger job. Changing just the front seal on the compressor is possible but not recommended at all. The failure rate is very high for just replacing a seal and it's considerable labor also. Your best bet is to be absolutely sure that the evaporator isn't leaking also and replace the compressor with a new one. They sell reman's but they aren't very reliable either. You'll also need to replace the accumulator and liquid line.

Old 08-03-04, 10:31 AM
97taurusowner
Visiting Guest
Thanks and question

Thanks for the reply. I would like to know your opinion on my recarging the system with 134a. I have a kit with a guage. Would I be doing harm if I fill the a/c with new 134a? Any thoughts?

Old 08-03-04, 03:36 PM
The biggest concern is that the refrigerant also carries the oil/lubricant. When it runs low, the compressor lacks lubrication. When it leaks, it takes some of the oil charge with it and you just never know how much so it's difficult to determine how much to replace. One or two recharges usually isn't a problem, but consistantly recharging will ultimately end in a compresser failure. That would be a shame if it wasn't the real problem in the first place.