accord lighting problem

Old 08-03-04, 09:32 AM
es136
Visiting Guest
accord lighting problem

Hi Everyone,
1st post here.
i have a Honda accord (1990, Auto, sedan) that has developed an annoying problem. when i turn on the lights while the ignition is off, all lights work fine. As soon as i turn on the ignition then the tail lights including the plate lights turn off. all other lights(Brake, reverse, signals, headlight) function normally. i have replace all light bulbs in the back but still have the same problem. also the battery is brand new.

My head is getting big from hitting it against the dash

Please help

Thank you

Eddie

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-04, 10:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do the lights return to normal after he engine is started? If so, I would be looking for a bad grounding strap. Probably from engine to body. Rust or corrosion can cause this problem. If that's not it, further digging will be required.

Old 08-03-04, 06:15 PM
es136
Visiting Guest
Hi Gold star,

The lights do not return to normal as long as the car is running. when the car is shut down then i get the lights back.

Thanks

Eddie

Old 08-03-04, 07:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is a puzzle. Do the front parking lights work normally, or are they also part of the problem?
The headlights and tail lights/ front parking lights operate from the same switch, but with different power feeds and contacts. These two circuits should be always hot and not controlled by the ignition switch. If the front parking lights do work, I would again lean to a bad ground in the trunk area.

Hopefully some one else will check in with the simple solution to your problem.

Old 08-04-04, 09:53 PM
lorenzanaj
Visiting Guest
Sounds like your ignition switch had gone bad.

Old 08-08-04, 10:00 PM
es136
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by goldstar
That is a puzzle. Do the front parking lights work normally, or are they also part of the problem?
The headlights and tail lights/ front parking lights operate from the same switch, but with different power feeds and contacts. These two circuits should be always hot and not controlled by the ignition switch. If the front parking lights do work, I would again lean to a bad ground in the trunk area.

Hopefully some one else will check in with the simple solution to your problem.
all other lights work fine, only the tail light is having this problem. I guess i will be climbing into the trunk again and check the grounds.
Eddie

Old 08-09-04, 07:37 AM
lorenzanaj
Visiting Guest
If possible find a schematic for your car. I still think ignition switch. Some cars have up to 3 accesories on the ignition switch. In the "run," II, position one of them may be bad, which might just be your tail light and such. In the "crank" position all accessories off.

Hum, that brings up a thought. In the II position your car doesn't have to be on. The tail light works in this senario right? Only after you "crank" it goes back to II and that's when the problem is seen?

To help determine the problem, find a schematic and look into what common wire/module is responsible for the items not working. This would help determine your problem w/o taking anything apart.

Jay

Old 08-10-04, 11:16 AM
es136
Visiting Guest
Thanks Jay,

It makes sense. i will also look into the ignition suggestion.

Eddie