Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda oil pan cracked

Visiting Guest

08-03-04, 06:42 PM   #1  
Jenc
Honda oil pan cracked

Hi - My 1998 Honda Civic has a cracked oil pan. I have been told by a mechanic that on each oil change, the gasket around the plug should also be changed (only a few $). He said that, in this case, this plug has been rammed in repeated oil changes, and has now resulted in a cracked oil pan (aluminum), which will amount in a repair cost of up to $725.

Is this true that the gasket around this plug should be changed repeatedly in Hondas? Generally, what is the life of an oil pan in Hondas?

Any thoughts appreciated

Sponsored Links

08-03-04, 07:27 PM   #2  
the oil drain plug gasket may need changed at certain times as they do go bad are may even occasionaly need a new drain plug because of stripped threads,or rounded off heads usually due to shops overtightning or using the incorrect tool to remove it, depending on the style of gasket it may require a new drain plug wich comes with the gasket, usually if the gasket is changeable most lube shops will stock them and change them when needed while performing the oil change rather than have a customer come back with a small oil leak and many would probably not have any additional charge just for a drain plug gasket.
for the most part oil pans will usually last the life of the car and do not normally crack from normal maintence of changing oil you may which to get a second opinion at a different shop if you havent already.

Visiting Guest

08-03-04, 09:11 PM   #3  
Jenc
thanks bejay for your insights - jenc

08-04-04, 03:54 AM   #4  
Seems rather high on the estimate also since Hondas are generally pretty easy to change.

TX

08-04-04, 05:45 AM   #5  
Gasket

The gasket is a crush gasket it is ment to be used only one time.However lots of people reuse it with no problem it is very inexpensive.I think someone has over torqued your drain plug causing the pan to crack.
I do not know what is involved in the R+R of the oil pan.Most are pretty easy and 725 seems kinda high.

Visiting Guest

08-04-04, 09:41 AM   #6  
Jenc
thank you all for your replies. Does $425 seem like a reasonable estimate for such work? Jenc

Search this Thread