Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

ac on pontiac grand am 98

Visiting Guest

08-05-04, 10:44 AM   #1  
deb789
ac on pontiac grand am 98

I have98 Pontiacgrand am. My ac was working fine a couple of days ago,but recently i turnrd it on and its blowing hot air.Inoticed it slowly not giving out cold air a couple of days ago,Until it blew hot air. Ihope it just needs freon.How would i know if its a leak or the compresser? Please explain!!!

Sponsored Links

08-05-04, 02:20 PM   #2  
Posted By: deb789 Ihope it just needs freon.How would i know if its a leak
Because it needs freon........

Now you would have to find the leak. Maybe take it to a shop and have it leak tested......

Visiting Guest

08-06-04, 12:40 PM   #3  
deb789
AC on pontiac grandam 98

You were right about the leak. They found a leak. Now the part they said the hoses would cost about with labor 258.00 very expensive to fix. The mechanic said there is another possible solution to remove that hose that has a leak on it and put another hose something about splicing it. And would charge me 90.00 for it. I just want to know if splicing it would help on the long run cause im kinda low on funds. How long would it last if i pay the 90.00. Please explain!!

08-06-04, 03:04 PM   #4  
I wouldn't expect that $90 to cover the evacuation and recharge of the system or the refrigerant. When it comes to A/C, anything under $500 is getting away cheap these days. I've got my doubts about the splicing stuff. If he's not going to gaurantee the work, then I wouldn't do it. Also make sure he was very thorough with his leak test. The biggest problem with A/C repairs are the leaks they didn't find. If he missed a leaky evaporator, you'll have an $800 bill waiting for you a month or two down the line. Hoses do leak but it's rarely the only leak.

Visiting Guest

08-07-04, 04:18 AM   #5  
the lam
same problem

Had same problem - hot air, needed freon --went 2 very honest shop, when He cked 4 the leak it let me watch, it came from the bottom --He cked the bolt and stated maybe this is why you have a leak....ask the man to ck the bolt on the compressor....hope this is all it is,,,cost me $59.87!

08-07-04, 12:18 PM   #6  
You might be referring to the drain plug on a variable compressor, if he even has that type, but I've never seen one leak and I don't know of any other bolt that would stop a leak.

Search this Thread