Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Passing gear problem?

GA

08-06-04, 03:58 PM   #1  
Passing gear problem?

I am interested in buying a 1991 Subaru Legacy car. It has 98,400 miles on the odometer.It has an automatic transmission. The car runs and rides good. I have one concern about this car. When you press the gas pedal to pass another car, it shifts into passing gear. Problem is the RPM's jump back and forth from 3000 to 7000. You can feel this speeding up and down while inside the car. For some reason it does not want to hold in the passing gear. Normal driving, the transmission does not seem to be slipping. But, press the gas pedal to the floor to pass someone, and the hesitation begins.

Does this sound like a potential problem with the transmission, or could it possibly be a engine problem, such as a clogged fuel filter? I do not want to buy the car, if I think there may be transmission problems ahead. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dean

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-07-04, 04:13 AM   #2  
transman618
From what you describe, it sounds like the transmission is slipping. The only way to be sure is to have a transmission shop give it a once over.

transman

Search this Thread