power steering

Old 08-06-04, 04:48 PM
power steering

I have a problem with a 1998 Hyundai Tiberon power steering pump. While the wheel is turned, the drive pulley stops and the belt squeels. I tried to over tighten the belt to see if that would stop it but it made no difference. Its gradually getting worse. One theroy I'm thinking is that it has some sort of restriction in the steering linkage that causes too much back pressure due to resistance...The other is that the pump is shot and needs to be replaced...I'd hate to replace it and have it squeel all over again... Any Ideas on steps to rule out the simplest solutions first. The fluid level in the resivoir is OK....
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-04, 05:55 AM
I would think either the pump or the rack and pinion is at fault.Without test equipment for power steering I would try a pump first because it is more likely and probably cheaper.

Old 08-08-04, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by hvac01453
Any Ideas on steps to rule out the simplest solutions first. The fluid level in the resivoir is OK....
Mike
How about the obvious.....the belt

What condition is the belt in? Have you reached the end of the adjustment? Is the belt actually getting tight? Is the belt wet with oil for any reason? Try jacking the wheels off the ground and see if you still have the problem. That would point toward a component problem.

Old 08-08-04, 08:39 AM
the belt

The belt is new and is at the middle of the adjustment swing... I didn't want to burn out the bearings from excessive tension so I relieved the tension back to a normal tension....could a bad pump react this way?
It only seems to squeel under load

Old 08-08-04, 09:33 AM
Johnc280
Visiting Guest
The only time I have seen what you are describing happen was caused by an oil leak that was getting on the belt. If the pulley is being forced to stop by a faulty pump or rack I would suspect the belt to start burning and smoking and even break after only a few seconds.

Johnny

Search this Thread