Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Auto Trany not changing down

08-07-04, 03:00 AM   #1  
Auto Trany not changing down

We have a Mitsi Chariot with auto transmission. Lately it has started to not change down, It takes off from stop in top gear. Will not kickdown. but stays in top all the time. I drained the oil and put a quart of Lucas trany fix in it and topped up with auto fluid, It some times will now change down if it feels like it.
Got caught today at the traffic light as I booted it to take off and it decided to take off in lo gear and I left all the other cars behind instead of me being behind them.LOL, then at the next set of lights it was back to taking off in top again,
Some one suggested it was sticking valves in the trany.
What is likely to be the problem?.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-07-04, 04:10 AM   #2  
transman618
I need to know more about the vehicle. Like the year, make, model, and engine size. Never heard of a Mitsi Chariot.

transman

08-07-04, 09:24 AM   #3  
Posted By: transman618 I need to know more about the vehicle. Like the year, make, model, and engine size. Never heard of a Mitsi Chariot.

transman
If he could tell us what the US model is instead of the New Zealand model maybe we could help.

08-07-04, 09:38 PM   #4  
Auto trany

Mitsibishi (hope thats how its spelt) Chariot, Don't what they are called in the US. known as Nimbus in Australia. Chariot in Japan.
Whats the cause of this problem with other autos, They all work on the same principle regardless of what make they are.

08-08-04, 04:50 AM   #5  
You are correct every thing works the same and the solution is always the same.Remove the trans and do a complete overhaul with a new valve body,solenoids and torque convertor.Don't forget to flush the cooler and lines.

08-09-04, 03:21 AM   #6  
Auto Trany

The garage guy today said it might be in the computer so he's going to have for a day on Thursday to check and diagonise. (I think thats how you spell it)

Visiting Guest

08-09-04, 05:02 AM   #7  
transman618
>> They all work on the same principle regardless of what make they are. <<

Auto transmission principles of operation are the same but transmissions change from year to year. Mitsubishi uses about 20 different model transmissions. Each one has their own unique little flaws about them. You are asking what is wrong with your transmission and I assume you want an accurate answer. In order for us to provide you with the most accurate answer to your question, you will need to provide us with certain information........ I need to know if I am working with a KM series transmission or an A-340, an A-500, an A-904, an F4A21, an F4a32....etc....etc.....

Whats the year and engine size of your vehicle ?????

transman

08-10-04, 11:42 PM   #8  
Auto trany not chaging down

Hi,
The Chariot is a 1992 model, East/west 2 litre NG63 motor, transmission is
a F4A22. front wheel drive,
Thank you for your reply.
Narroc

Search this Thread