Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Instructions on installing Freeze 12 into 1989 Nissan Maxima

Visiting Guest

08-07-04, 11:43 AM   #1  
aw89maxSE
Instructions on installing Freeze 12 into 1989 Nissan Maxima

My r12 is gone. I ordered the product calledFreeze 12 which is a complete replacement of r12 for my 1989 Nissan Maxima SE. I need some instructions on how to install it into the car because right now I don't understand how the air conditioning system works so if someone could shed some light on that, that would help things out. This is the Freeze 12 product I'm talking about:

Freeze 12

Please, I really need a lot of help on this.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-07-04, 12:12 PM   #2  
jmantools
freeze 12

freeze 12 is not a replacement for the r-12 system. in fact freeze 12 is just a diffrent name for r-12(freon). to change your system to r-134a you need a kit that is easily accesable at your local parts store, usually by special order.

Visiting Guest

08-07-04, 12:54 PM   #3  
aw89maxSE
Posted By: jmantools freeze 12 is not a replacement for the r-12 system. in fact freeze 12 is just a diffrent name for r-12(freon). to change your system to r-134a you need a kit that is easily accesable at your local parts store, usually by special order.
Yeah very true, but I don't want to convert my system to r-134a. I just want to basically refill my freon with the Freeze 12 and I just don't know how to. I know you can do it, but I just don't know how....

Visiting Guest

08-07-04, 01:55 PM   #4  
jmantools
change to r-134a

since all auto systems since 1995 are made with 134a systems it is very difficult for the public to purchase r-12 and even more difficult to find the hoses and fittings to recharge your system with r-12. Not to mention r-12 is over triple the price than r-134a. repair shops are usually the only way to recharge r-12 systems because the government has determined r12 systems to be unsafe for the enviroment. You can purchase a r-134a retro kit for about 15.00 to 20.00 dollars to change over to r-134a ,very easy installation. you can also purchase the r-134a refrigerent and the lines to do it your self for very little cost.

08-07-04, 01:56 PM   #5  
You will be sorry.Freeze 12 is a drop in refrigerant that takes the place of r-12.If you have a small leak the freeze 12 you put in now will be gone in less than 24 hours.Smaller molecular structure and the fact that they advertise 4 0r 5oz of freeze 12 replaces 16 oz of r-12 means the a/c will quit faster,much faster.I would suggest finding and repairing the leak and charging with r-12 or converting to r134a properly.

Visiting Guest

08-07-04, 03:06 PM   #6  
aw89maxSE
Posted By: davo You will be sorry.Freeze 12 is a drop in refrigerant that takes the place of r-12.If you have a small leak the freeze 12 you put in now will be gone in less than 24 hours.Smaller molecular structure and the fact that they advertise 4 0r 5oz of freeze 12 replaces 16 oz of r-12 means the a/c will quit faster,much faster.I would suggest finding and repairing the leak and charging with r-12 or converting to r134a properly.
Alright bare with me. The stuff that came with the kit was leak sealer and detector and also a can oil charge which adds 2oz. of ester lubricant without discharginf the system. I have 3 cans of the Freeze 12 which adds up to 36oz (1020g). I have however found out that converting my system to r134a is a little bit more then just $15.00-$20.00. Let me refer you to another response I recieved about converting my system from r12 to r134a

"This is a list of some of the conversion kits from Schucks, but I went there today and they had some other ones so I'm not quite sure which one to do...

...Sounds and looks pretty easy to convert"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"No No No No No.

Converting from R12 is not as easy as changing the coolant and the fittings. You must completely evacutate the system of all coolant and oil. You must replace the dryer assembly, then you must refill with R134a, and oil that is compatible with R-134a. Also you got to remember, R134a must run at a higher pressure than R12, which can strain the A/C compressor. If I we're you, I'd try to find a place that can recharge the system with R12. R12 is much more efficient than R134a, and comes out much cooler too. "

So I am still very unsure, but I do however have the whole kit of freeze 12 which consists of everything I need to do to recharge.

08-07-04, 04:57 PM   #7  
You do as you wish freeze 12 will be gone before morning.Read the can it says it is equal to 16oz of r-12 but is not in volume or molecular structure.I won't argue this point.My neighbor bought the stuff and now says I didn't fix his truck right.He said he had r12 but did not I should have stopped right there when I found out it was freeze 12 but said what the hell.Freeze 12 needs a tighter ac system than 134.I hope you bought a case of it.People need to know marketing and actual applications are differant.

08-07-04, 05:31 PM   #8  
Note: To purchase "Freeze-12" you must be licensed "or" affirm that you are a reseller of this product. If you order and do not supply your EPA certification number, you are affirming that the purchase is for resale only to certified technicians!
If you were certified you would know how to handle the product safely and in an environmentally responsible way with the proper tools and required equipment.

As required by EPA regs or face a stiff fine

Visiting Guest

08-07-04, 05:46 PM   #9  
aw89maxSE
Posted By: davo Read the can it says it is equal to 16oz of r-12 but is not in volume or molecular structure.
I couldn't find that on the can, but i'll take your word for it.

So is everyone just basically telling me not to do this??

I would still like some instructions on how to do it if anyone has any?

08-07-04, 07:44 PM   #10  
Freeze12 is just another gimmick for somebody to make money with. I don't suggest retrofitting to R134 either. The only correct way to resolve the issue is repair the leak and recharge with R12. It is readily available and the only correct refrigerant for that system.

Visiting Guest

08-08-04, 01:36 AM   #11  
aw89maxSE
Posted By: Desi501 Freeze12 is just another gimmick for somebody to make money with. I don't suggest retrofitting to R134 either. The only correct way to resolve the issue is repair the leak and recharge with R12. It is readily available and the only correct refrigerant for that system.
Well this kind of sucks . I bought and already have the whole freeze 12 kit and I still don't know how to recharge it.....Please guys, I need some instructons

08-08-04, 04:18 AM   #12  
Playing with refrigerant can be very dangerous for an inexperienced person. I, for one recommend you take it to a trained professional. The cost of that kit doesn't out weigh what can happen if something goes wrong.

08-08-04, 04:39 AM   #13  
Posted By: aw89maxSE Well this kind of sucks . I bought and already have the whole freeze 12 kit and I still don't know how to recharge it.....Please guys, I need some instructons
Ok get your guages hooked up to the car attach your vacuum pump and let it run for a minimum of 30 minutes.Then jumper the low pressure switch and put your freeze 12 in the low side of the system with the engine running.I can't tell you what your guage readings will be or should be because I don't know the temperature/pressure properties of freeze 12 and neither do you.Don't get the stuff in your eyes or you may be blind afterwards.Don't accidentally freeze a finger or you may lose it also.Good luck you have the requested info.If you have the whole kit didn't it come with instructions?

08-08-04, 04:42 AM   #14  
Oh I forgot to mention my experience with Maximas would lead me to believe you most likely need an evaporator.

08-08-04, 04:48 AM   #15  
Well this kind of sucks . I bought and already have the whole freeze 12 kit and I still don't know how to recharge it.....Please guys, I need some instructons
Thats not the only thing you don't understand. You could receive a fine from the EPA up to $27,500 and we could receive a reward of up to $10,000 for turning you in. The way you purchased it was illegal and that alone subjects you to the fine above.

The web site you purchased from had you agree to
To purchase "Freeze-12" you must be licensed "or" affirm that you are a reseller of this product. If you order and do not supply your EPA certification number, you are affirming that the purchase is for resale only to certified technicians!
What would kinda suck is if in the process of adding your "freeze 12" you caused frost bite to yourself, become blinded, loose a finger or other body part or just death (at least you won't have worry about you a/c not working) all because you don't know what you are doing.

What happens if someone here gave you instructions and you injure youself because you didn't follow instruction or there was a malfunction in the system that your not trained to recognize. We all including this website could be held accountable.

Thats why there is training and certification for handling refridgerant to protect you and others from harming the environment and each other or themselves.

08-08-04, 05:01 AM   #16  
I missed the ebay part earlier about the auction where he got it.Good thing you can't buy guns on ebay I guess.

Visiting Guest

08-08-04, 10:31 AM   #17  
aw89maxSE
Alright, well thank you guys very much and I won't be doing this installation. You all right and I will wait and just save some money to get it done by a professional legally.

.....Someone said it could be the evaporator which needs to be replaced. Someone want to shed some more light and that.

Visiting Guest

08-08-04, 08:49 PM   #18  
aw89maxSE
bump bump

VA

08-09-04, 05:47 AM   #19  
have it leak tested...

...by a professional. at this point, you could have a leak anywhere in the system which includes the evaporator, condenser, lines, compressor, accumulator, receiver-drier, expansion valve...

as for my two cents worth on FR-12...if you want the real info and if you haven't already been there, go to section 609 that deals with mobile air conditioning at www.epa.gov. there is a host of issues with drop in refrigerants. all refrigerants must be handled in a similar manner and yet must also have distinctly different connection ports and collection/recharging equipment. is it an approved refrigerant? yes....but that's the tip of the iceberg. as others have stated...it was designed for r-12 and will work best if kept that way.

Search this Thread