Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Transmission Stays In Park

Visiting Guest

08-08-04, 08:01 PM   #1  
DuDahlx
Transmission Stays In Park

Alright guys. Im new to the forum and am having a realy bad week. First of all, My car is a 01 Saturn SL2. Its an automatic with 114,000miles. It is on its second transmission with one rebuild on that. I have contacted saturn but they will not help me at all. My problem happened the other day when i went to go to work. I had already driven the car for about an hour earlier in the day when i went to start it. As soon as it starts i hear a suction noise. I get in to see if any lights are on, but none are showing. I go to but the car in reverse and the car stays in park. Im thinking linkage problem, but why the suction noise?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

08-09-04, 04:31 AM   #2  
Might have a large vacuum leak; whether or not that is contributing to the tranny problem is iffy. Lots of older cars had vacuum modulators that were a part of the transmission control system; although I don't think a vacuum modulator failure would cause what you describe. Be that as it may, finding and fixing the vacuum leak (if that's what your sucking sound is), would be a worthwhile first step at any rate. Might be something vacuum-related on Saturns that would be as you describe.

And, not to add insult to injury, but you're on your THIRD transmission at only 114k miles?

Visiting Guest

08-09-04, 05:51 AM   #3  
DuDahlx
Posted By: the_tow_guy Might have a large vacuum leak; whether or not that is contributing to the tranny problem is iffy. Lots of older cars had vacuum modulators that were a part of the transmission control system; although I don't think a vacuum modulator failure would cause what you describe. Be that as it may, finding and fixing the vacuum leak (if that's what your sucking sound is), would be a worthwhile first step at any rate. Might be something vacuum-related on Saturns that would be as you describe.

And, not to add insult to injury, but you're on your THIRD transmission at only 114k miles?
Yep, The original droped at 60, the second was purchased with 40 and dropped once it hit 60. My whole experience with Saturn Has been horible.

Group Moderator

FL

08-09-04, 08:30 AM   #4  
You sure that's not a Ford Taurus, LOL. Wow; counting my blessings that my wife's '95 Camry is still on the original tranny at 170k.

Visiting Guest

08-15-04, 03:53 AM   #5  
chaset
Ouch thats horrible.

My 1982 G20 Van is on its 2nd Transmission at 230,000Km and that was only to upgrade from a 350 to 400turbo tranny

Search this Thread