Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1994 Ford Tempo transaxle linkage

Visiting Guest

08-09-04, 01:01 PM   #1  
DavidDCSA
1994 Ford Tempo transaxle linkage

Following shifting from Reverse to Drive on my 1994 Ford Tempo GL (4 cyclinder, automatic transmission), sometimes the accelerator pedal will only travel downward about 20% of the normal amount and the car will not shift to high gear. When this occurs, I can sometimes resolve it by stopping the car and moving the gear selector slowly through all of the gears and back to Drive. Other times, I must disconnect a linkage (passing gear?) which connects the transaxle to the accelerator linkage, manually move the linkage to the transaxle until it unsticks, then reconnect it. I have been able to determine whether the problem is at the common pivot point of the shifter linkage and the portion that connects to the accelerator linkage or if it is internal to the transaxle. Can anyone help me to make this determination?

Sponsored Links

08-10-04, 03:58 PM   #2  
Sounds like a valve body issue to me.I would have a trans shop adjust the (passing gear)properly and go from there.I don't know the proper procedure to adjust it so I can't tell you how to do it.

Search this Thread