Chrysler Town & Country (1997)Rattle???

Old 08-10-04, 04:10 AM
Chrysler Town & Country (1997)Rattle???

I had my original shocks replaced about a month ago with Monroe Sensatrac and have noticed a rattle coming from the rear of the van whenever I go over bumps. At times there is a creak followed by rattle. It's a muffled rattle sound and doesn't sound metallic. I've checked the bolts that hold the shocks and they appear to be tight. Also checked the underside for loose muffler hangers and other things, but no luck. Please help, because this sound is quite annoying...

I found a TSB Number 02-09-98 AUG 98 Rear Shock Absorber - Rattles on Bumps . Not sure what the fix on this TSB is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by slc_ideas; 08-10-04 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Followup
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-04, 04:06 PM
Did you check them for tightness with tools or just look at them?I would take it back to the place that installed them and have them recheck their work at no charge.The tsb you found is likely no longer valid after the aftermarket shocks were installed.

Old 08-10-04, 04:56 PM
Davo, I took the top bolts out on both rear shocks and checked the play between the bolt and the metal sleeve inside the rubber bushing on the shock. There's hardly any play and so I put it back and retorqued it to 75 ft-lbs as recommended in Haynes Manual. Anyway, the source of the rattle doesn't appear to be the shocks since everything appears to be snug. Which puts me back to square one. It appears to coming from the underside in the rear and yet I can't find anything loose. It's driving me nuts...

Old 08-11-04, 07:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just a wild card guess, but check your spare tire for tightness. Also give the tail pipe a good look to make sure it's not moving and bumping something. I think that the jack and tools are in a compartment inside the left rear fender area (inside the car). Check and see that everything is properly stowed in there.

Old 08-12-04, 03:56 AM
Goldstar, Thanks. I have already done all that. I removed the spare completely, checked the exhaust, the tool compartment, pulled out all the seats in the back, removed the black plastic mud guard over the rear driver side wheel, checked on the underside to make sure nothing appeared loose. It almost sounds like a panel rattle because of the muffled sound. The strange thing is that it's not always there and comes the minute I go over a bump or over a bad pavement. I also took the rear brake drums apart but didn't see anything unusual that would make this noise. Running out of ideas...

Old 08-12-04, 01:10 PM
Huntertb1
Visiting Guest
this may sound dumb, but what kind of wheels do you have, could you have picked up something and it is moving around in one of the rear rims?

Old 08-12-04, 02:10 PM
Hunterb1,
The wheels are alloy types and they appear o.k. I have taken them out quite a few times while troubleshooting this noise problem and there is nothing that's picked up within them. The sound is more like a shaking rattle sound than a cyclic one that would be caused by the tire rotation. It's more pronounced on bumpy roads. Because the noise appears to be coming from the underside, it's hard to pinpoint it while driving. I can't get it to come when the van is standing still even when I shake the van up and down.

Old 09-05-04, 05:35 AM
Smile

It turns out that the rattling noise was indeed caused by faulty shocks. These were new Monroe Sensatracs, but the driver side one was faulty. It appears the top sleeve was contacting the inner sleeve and rubbing and bouncing against it on bumpy roads. Luckily, the 90 day warranty from PEP Boys was still active when I had them re-do the shocks. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Search this Thread