ignition lock help needed

Old 08-10-04, 11:38 AM
SassyOne
Visiting Guest
ignition lock help needed

I have a 1990 suppercharged Cougar I had to replace the ignition lock and now I cant get the new lock to turn into the off postion. I have tried to put the old lock back in and it still will not turn back. I was told I might have to have it drilled out is this true?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-04, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by SassyOne
I have a 1990 suppercharged Cougar I had to replace the ignition lock and now I cant get the new lock to turn into the off postion. I have tried to put the old lock back in and it still will not turn back. I was told I might have to have it drilled out is this true?
I answered you in the other thread.

Old 08-11-04, 10:50 AM
SassyOne
Visiting Guest
ok I have tried everything

I have a 5 speed so it can not be the gear shifter being out of place and I also made sure that the lock is in place correctly. I guess it is time to call in the service guys

Old 08-11-04, 02:24 PM
I have a 5 speed so it can not be the gear shifter being out of place and I also made sure that the lock is in place correctly. I guess it is time to call in the service guys
Do you have a manual lever or buttom to push for the cylinder to go all the way to lock position?

Old 08-11-04, 05:36 PM
SassyOne
Visiting Guest
Question Ignition Switch?????

OK I figured out how to get the key back to the locked postion but now there is now power when I try to turn the car over (I have head lights, turn signals and the horn but no gauge lights or radio or the other lights or sounds that go along with starting the car). Could it be the ignition switch has gone bad too???

Old 08-12-04, 07:16 AM
Could it be the ignition switch has gone bad too???
It could be....or it could just be the linkage connecting the two. Those ignition switches had a lot of problems with the plug melting at the switch. I think the switch is on top of the column half way down.

Old 08-12-04, 10:01 AM
SassyOne
Visiting Guest
Red face thank you

Thank you I hope I can figure it out now.You have been a lot of help

Old 08-22-04, 09:44 AM
SassyOne
Visiting Guest
Found the problem

The problem was a fuse under the hood after replacing it the car runs