Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

ignition lock help needed

Visiting Guest

08-10-04, 11:38 AM   #1  
SassyOne
ignition lock help needed

I have a 1990 suppercharged Cougar I had to replace the ignition lock and now I cant get the new lock to turn into the off postion. I have tried to put the old lock back in and it still will not turn back. I was told I might have to have it drilled out is this true?

Sponsored Links

08-10-04, 02:49 PM   #2  
Posted By: SassyOne I have a 1990 suppercharged Cougar I had to replace the ignition lock and now I cant get the new lock to turn into the off postion. I have tried to put the old lock back in and it still will not turn back. I was told I might have to have it drilled out is this true?
I answered you in the other thread.

Visiting Guest

08-11-04, 10:50 AM   #3  
SassyOne
ok I have tried everything

I have a 5 speed so it can not be the gear shifter being out of place and I also made sure that the lock is in place correctly. I guess it is time to call in the service guys

08-11-04, 02:24 PM   #4  
Posted By: SassyOne I have a 5 speed so it can not be the gear shifter being out of place and I also made sure that the lock is in place correctly. I guess it is time to call in the service guys
Do you have a manual lever or buttom to push for the cylinder to go all the way to lock position?

Visiting Guest

08-11-04, 05:36 PM   #5  
SassyOne
Ignition Switch?????

OK I figured out how to get the key back to the locked postion but now there is now power when I try to turn the car over (I have head lights, turn signals and the horn but no gauge lights or radio or the other lights or sounds that go along with starting the car). Could it be the ignition switch has gone bad too???

08-12-04, 07:16 AM   #6  
Posted By: SassyOne Could it be the ignition switch has gone bad too???
It could be....or it could just be the linkage connecting the two. Those ignition switches had a lot of problems with the plug melting at the switch. I think the switch is on top of the column half way down.

Visiting Guest

08-12-04, 10:01 AM   #7  
SassyOne
thank you

Thank you I hope I can figure it out now.You have been a lot of help

Visiting Guest

08-22-04, 09:44 AM   #8  
SassyOne
Found the problem

The problem was a fuse under the hood after replacing it the car runs

Search this Thread