96 Cougar 4.6L engine noise

Old 08-10-04, 01:29 PM
Unhappy 96 Cougar 4.6L engine noise

Folks, I have a problem!

Wife's 96 4.6 stock Cat (68K) started making a rattling/ squealing noise from the front of the engine. I have never heard this kind of noise in my lenghty career with cars (1949 Chev on up!). At first, I thought one of the pulley bearings was going out. I drove it a while longer and the noise went strictly to a loud rattle of sorts. I removed the serpintine belt and checked all the pullys for bad bearings. They all felt and turned good. I started the car with the belt off and the noise continues. It actually sounds like a marble is rattling around under the timing chain cover or the valve covers.

Any ideas? It looks like (in my service manual) the only things that can get loose under a cover are the timing belt tensioner and spring and possibly a camshaft mounting bolt or a lifter. The engines runs smooth so a cylinder is not out due to a sunk lifter or rocker arm.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-04, 04:18 PM
Take a peek under the timing belt cover from your description that's where I would look.Do you have good oil pressure?

Old 08-10-04, 04:59 PM
Thumbs up Will do!

Davo: The oil pressure is where it normally is as I watched the gauge intently driving it home. I suspect that a chain tensioner busted, but I am not positive. I plan to pull the front cover off Saturday when I have several hours. I need a wheel puller for the harmonic balancer and the PS Pump pulley to get the bolts out. It is a SOHC engine so the cover is fairly encompassing on these 4.6 liter engines.

Tony