Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1992 Isuzu Rodeo tune up problem

08-10-04, 02:50 PM   #1  
1992 Isuzu Rodeo tune up problem

I hope someone can give me assistance with my SUV. I just installed new Bosch Platinum plugs, roter and cap, new wires abd pcv valve, air filter. After starting the SUV the engine seems to idle fine, but when I drive and accelerate the engine seems to putter at around 25-30 mph then smooths out when I give it more gas. Would this be a timing issue? If not can someone please give me some additional things to check for. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

08-10-04, 04:28 PM   #2  
Don't move the distributor you will just make matters worse.Did you have a problem prior to doing the work?If so is it the same problem?Is it different or worse?Step one is recheck your work firing order,plug gap air intake installed properly and any sensors you had disconnected to do the work.

08-10-04, 04:45 PM   #3  
reply to davo

Thanks for the reply,originally the truck was just not getting as much pickup and was running a bit hard. So I decided to replace the items noted. Can you explain the work firing order to me. The plugs were pre-gapped according to the pep-boy guy. The only things I removed was a plug and tube connected to the underside of the air filter can, which I reconnected. Any other ideas greatly appreciated. Would hate to have to pay a shop to tweak hard work that I already did. (My first time doing it, and very proud of myself that nothing major went wrong).

08-10-04, 08:10 PM   #4  
.02 on plugs

I have not had good luck with Bosch Platinum (admittedly on domestic engines)
They seem to make matters worse, I don't know why
You might want to try a set of OEM plugs before continuing

08-17-04, 07:26 PM   #5  
Reply to Davo

Thanks for the reply Davo,originally the truck was just not getting as much pickup and was running a bit hard. So I decided to replace the items noted. Can you explain the work firing order to me. The plugs were pre-gapped according to the pep-boy guy. The only things I removed was a plug and tube connected to the underside of the air filter can, which I reconnected. Any other ideas greatly appreciated. Would hate to have to pay a shop to tweak hard work that I already did. (My first time doing it, and very proud of myself that nothing major went wrong).

08-17-04, 09:45 PM   #6  
Really, try the plug thing before continuing
I know it's hard not to believe the splitfire/boschplatinum/whatever hype
I have a bunch of them on a shelf myself
If you have a difficult problem, go back to OEM on everything you can

Search this Thread