91 accord--replacing my master cylinder

Old 08-12-04, 05:19 AM
roberts
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 91 accord--replacing my master cylinder

recently i was told that my master cylinder may be dying on my 1991 honda accord lx coupe... and in order to replace it, it would cost $270. i was wondering if it would be a good idea to try to replace it myself and save about $150 in labor. can someone tell me how difficult it is? and if it's worth it for me to attempt, given that i don't have a garage but have a dabbled in minor fixes (e.g. replace hoses, shocks, etc).

help!?!?!?

thanks,
roberts

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-04, 06:38 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
You can do anything you put your mind too... A mastercylinder is a relatively easy fix.

A. Drain/suck fluid out of reservoir on master cylinder.
B. Loosen lines and nuts holding mastercylinder to booster and remove.
C. Install new master cylinder, tighten mounting nuts and install lines, but do not tighten yet.
D. Bleed master cylinder by putting fluid in reservoir and letting in "drain" out of the lines that you have left loose(when all the bubbles stop coming out tighten lines.
E. Bleed all wheel cylinder/calipers starting with the wheel farthest away from the master cylinder to the closest. You can do a gravity bleed(open lines let fluid drain out until no more bubble from each line), or you can pump the fluid out using the same order as listed above. Have someone sitting in the drivers seat and when you open the vent at each wheel have them push the pedal to the floor and HOLD it. Shut the vent. Tell them to release the pedal and when the pedal is fully released, you can repeat the procedure.

I prefer not to have someone "pump up" the brakes due to compressing the air in the lines and making much more mess than there has to be. You can move fluid just as quickly by doing it the way I described in the second half of "E".

HTH,

Chad