88 Mercurt Sable idle adjust.

Old 08-13-04, 09:30 AM
88 Mercurt Sable idle adjust.

The idle runs @ around 500-600 rpm and when I start the engine it will keep dieing.and when I put it in gear to take off ,I may have to restart it a couple of times.Also as I come to a stop it may die.If I can keep it around 1,000 rpm it seems to be ok.And after it covers a few miles it gets much better.How do I adjust the idle on this 3.0 engine?Cecil35.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-04, 10:00 AM
The idle is computer controlled and not adjustable. Here's something you can try:
Remove the air snorkel and have someone sit in the car and hold the throttle to the floor. Now take a can of spray carb cleaner and an old toothbrush and scrub the backside of the throttle plate and the surrounding housing. Now remove the IAC (idle air control). It's mounted to the side of the throttle body with 2 10mm bolts and one electrical plug. You'll see a slide valve inside. Clean it very thoroughly with the carb cleaner and make sure it slides freely. Finish it with some spray lube like WD40 on the valve and re-install it. When you restart it, it may run rough for a minute until you burn off all that carb cleaner. It should idle better after that. If your still having a problem, you may have to replace that IAC.

Old 08-13-04, 10:53 AM
more than likely doing the above will solve your problem but if it does not you can check your base idle by unplugging the iac motor with all accesories off it should be idling between 500-600 rpm and if it is not, there is a base idle adjustment screw on the throttle linkage may have to remove plastic cover to see it and you can adjust to get the specified rpm at 500-600 rpm.
then reconnect iac and disconnect battery for 10 minutes to clear idle strategy from computer.

Old 08-13-04, 01:41 PM
DO NOT use Bejay's instructions to try to raise the idle above the spec he gave or you'll encounter many more problems. If you haven't already messed with it prior to this, leave it alone, it's fine. That adjustment will create more problems than it will fix if it's not done correctly.