Catalytic Converter in '91 Topaz

Old 08-13-04, 01:07 PM
64Saratoga
Visiting Guest
Catalytic Converter in '91 Topaz

Hi all,

I just bought a glass pack muffler to replace the disintigrating stock one in my '91 Topaz. I'm considering pulling out the catalytic converter when I do the swap and replacing it with a straight pipe. I will, of course, have to look into the legality of doing so first. I'm wondering, firstly, about the benefits of doing so. I've read that the main hp increases occur in the top end, and that I may actually lose some bottom end torque as a result. Is this fairly accurate? I'm also wondering if there is a sensor in the cat, and what I would need to do about it. I know the o2 sensor is in the exhaust manifold (replaced it last year), but there does seem to be something running out of the converter. Will I see any increase flow just installing the muffler and leaving the catalytic converter as is? Thanks in advance,

Nick

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-04, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. The fine is only $10,000.

Old 08-13-04, 02:15 PM
64Saratoga
Visiting Guest
So what's that, like $3 mil up here? ;)

Ouch! Glad I don't live in Fla. Actually, I just looked into it and it's perfectly legal to remove it here in Alberta, although I may run into trouble if I drive to another province. We don't have a huge problem with air pollution here on the praries, but I know that when I lived out on the west coast, it was a totally different story. So is it worth doing, in terms of performance gains?

Old 08-13-04, 03:30 PM
not likely to notice much if any difference in performance unless the convertor that is on it now is restricted, and not to mention it may be louder than what you may like also with just a glass pack muffler.

Old 08-13-04, 05:13 PM
That's not a Florida law, it's Federal regulations. I would be very surprised if Canada does not have emissions tampering laws. If they make laws about having to put them on cars, they'll usually make laws to prevent people from taking them back off.