Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

99 tahoe steering wheel jerk when taking corners

08-14-04, 05:53 AM   #1  
99 tahoe steering wheel jerk when taking corners

On occasion, when going through a curve in the road, my tahoe steering wheel jerks. not sure if its the power steering unit or something binding below. I have recently replaced the calipers due to a brake problem and this was happening before and is still happens after. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-14-04, 08:06 AM   #2  
Johnc280
Sounds like the steering wheel position sensor is bad. It is located at the bottom of the steering collum under the dash. It is very easy to change.

Good luck,

Johnny

08-14-04, 11:24 AM   #3  
Johnny hit the nail on the head.
The sensor is located at the bottom of the steering column. The connector is kinda a pain to get to though.

08-15-04, 10:09 AM   #4  
what exactly does the indicator do? Do some vehicle operate their steering solely by electronics. My tahoe steering column is the same as any that I've ever seen. It goes through the dash to the steering box. I believe what you have said, just curious as to what it does for the steering.

08-15-04, 12:34 PM   #5  
You have electronic variable oriface steering and there is a solenoid in the back of the power steering pump that modulates hydraulic
pressure based on input from the steering wheel position/speed sensor and the module programming for the evo steering depending on specific vehicle options.Yes there are cars that have fully electronic steering systems but yours is not.Replace the sensor and have the codes cleared to prvent future misdiagnosis.You should be able to change the sensor in under 30 minutes.

08-17-04, 05:43 PM   #6  
thanks a bunch guys. I just finished replacing the sensor and all is working great. It was a little bit more involved than what I thought it would be, it only took an hour to do. thanks again, it save me a bunch of money I'm sure.
Byron Maddox

Search this Thread