Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'95 Taurus 3.8-Water pump

Visiting Guest

08-14-04, 01:02 PM   #1  
bearister
'95 Taurus 3.8-Water pump

I just replaced the alternator and, wouldn't you know, within a week the water pump goes. It looks and sounds like the water pump is just below the alternator. Mechanic says it's 3 hours of his time to change water pump.

Questioni: Is the water pump on a 1995 Taurus GL, 3.8 (NOT the SHO model) something which a person with some decent tools and some amature experience able to change themself, given a full day's time?

3 hours for a professsional mechanic to change the water pump just sounded like a bit much. Given the transverse mounting of the engine I understand it isn't like the old days, but is it THAT hard?

TIA for anyone's advice or experience.

Mike

Sponsored Links

OH

08-14-04, 02:17 PM   #2  
ii have a 1994 taurus wagon, i just changed one in about 2 hours myself. ii had no problem at all once you remove the washer tank and rad. resivor, it gives you plenty of room to work. a good socket set is all you need

08-14-04, 03:02 PM   #3  
One of those Taurus's, I think it was the 3.8 can be a real bear. Not sufficient clearance to get to pump out. You need to jack the engine to get anything out. It's worth every bit of 3 hours.

Visiting Guest

08-15-04, 08:25 PM   #4  
bearister
Thanks.

I HAVE the 3.8 and I just read somewhere that you do have to tilt the engine up to R and R the water pump.

Mudcat, do you have a 3.0? The little 4 cylinder? Mines the 6. And even with the plastic tanks off it looks mighty darned tight in there. I have the socket sets and a good floor jack (a step up from those little ones they sell).

If I DO jack the engine up do I have to loosen motor mounts, etc? Or is there some trick to knowing how to do it without having to get into that?

Thank you both for your responses. I really appreciate it. Money is real tight as I am just coming off of disability here, looking for work now.

08-15-04, 09:07 PM   #5  
you should be able to change the water pump without jacking the engine up however it is a tight fit and you may have to work around the waterpump pulley after unbolting it and remove it with the pump.
but I would think you could easily do the job if you have the tools and the time as it may very well take you 3-4 hours.

08-16-04, 04:57 AM   #6  
If there is a clearance issue, simply remove the 2 nuts from the 2 motor mounts on that side of the vehicle then putting a floor jack under the oil pan will bring the engine high enough to give you plenty of clearance. Don't dent anything in the oil pan.

OH

08-16-04, 03:46 PM   #7  
bearister, no i have a 1994 wagon with 3.0 ,6 cyl., mine was easy to replace. just kept removing the brackets that held on other things but believe me i was done in about 2 to 2 and a half hours. even removed bottom rad. hose and didnt need to .

08-16-04, 06:12 PM   #8  
Posted By: mudcat24 bearister, no i have a 1994 wagon with 3.0 ,6 cyl., mine was easy to replace. just kept removing the brackets that held on other things but believe me i was done in about 2 to 2 and a half hours. even removed bottom rad. hose and didnt need to .
Yes, but this one is a 3.8. Not the same animal at all.

Search this Thread