Running hot again

Old 08-15-04, 03:50 PM
trainer
Visiting Guest
Question Running hot again

I have a 92 Acura Legend still running hot. I have replaced hoses, radiator,rad cap, water pump, timing belt and the thermostat (which came from dealership) twice. The problem is engine is running hot again. I haven driven it 50 to 75 miles before this. Today after 20 miles the gauge went to the red. The overflow is not boiling over but the lower rad hose which connects to the thermostat is cool while the upper hose which connects to the engine is hot. Seems like the thermostat is stuck. Could there be another problem or what do you think the problem is?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-04, 08:12 PM
sounds like a thermostat problem from what you are saying about the lower hose still being cold.

Old 08-16-04, 08:05 PM
Did you bleed the air out of the system when you refilled it with coolant?

An air bubble in the system will cause just this problem.

The bleeder is located on or near the thermostat housing or upper hose. You open it and fill the system until all the air bubbles stop and then you close it.

Matt

Old 08-16-04, 08:10 PM
trainer
Visiting Guest
Bleeding

Yes I did bleed it several times but of course when the system became hot this time I opened the valve while hot to let the air out of system. I will try to bleed it again while it is cold.

Old 08-17-04, 11:57 AM
Are you sure you did not put the thermostat in backward? The spring goes toward the engine.

If it is installed correctly take it out and put it in a pan of water with a high temperature thermometer. Heat the pan of water on the stove and see if it begins to open about the same temp as the thermostat says it is. Then continue to heat the water and see if it will open allthe way.