1998 Neon

Old 08-16-04, 10:07 AM
amandaleigh
Visiting Guest
1998 Neon

I have a 1998 Neon that has given me oil problems in the past but was fixed and now the oil only needs a slight top off every couple of weeks.....(is that normal?) just the other day the CHECK ENGINE light came on, I've had cars in the past that have had an issue with the check engine light and was told that it was an Oxygen Sensor issue and wasn't worth fixing and the car would still be fine. Sounds bogus to me but I'm not an expert. I've been driving the car and all seems okay. It has been driving a little different than when i got it, it just doesn't like to speed up as fast as I would like it, but I assumed it was just because the car is getting older and has A LOT of miles on it. ANY OPINIONS/RECOMMENDATIONS????????

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-04, 11:04 AM
lorenzanaj
Visiting Guest
I think they say 1qt every 3000 miles is okay. Seems high to me but that's the accepted norm. As long as it's not dripping on the driveway that is.

You can pay a few bucks for Dodge to read your check engine light or goto Murrays or AutoZone and they'll loan you the scan tool or read the code for you.

Jay

Old 08-17-04, 05:29 AM
amandaleigh
Visiting Guest
p0104/p0401

I went to Autozone yesterday and they ran the check. Message P0104 or 401 something like that. It has to do with the Oxygen Sensor and Air Intake/Outake in the catalytic converter. Okay, so i'm not very up on the terms but compared to most females and cars I'm right up there. I had a car before that was a suburu loyale and the CEL light was on when I purchased it. The dealer at the time said it was the Oxygen Sensor and it wasn't worth fixing/didn't need to be fixed on such an old car. After driving the car for about 4 months it started to jerk a lot after a stop and go type situation, it got to the point everytime I started out it jerked 3 or 4 times and then went. It seemed like a gas problem not transmission at all. I sold the car, the people who bought it fixed it, and it still runs. I'm wondering if the problem with the Jerking had something to do with the oxygen sensor. And I'm wondering if I can expect the same thing to happen with my current car if I don't get it fixed? If it needs to be fixed ASAP.....?

Old 08-17-04, 05:46 AM
P0401

I don't see a P0104...so I'm assuming that it's a P0401 which is an EGR failure code...it's only related to the catalyst in as much as it affects emissions. it's also likely that your sense of power loss is related to his failure. take it to a competent tech and have it repaired

Old 08-17-04, 09:45 AM
lorenzanaj
Visiting Guest
Hum, those numbers are kind of important. P0104: Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Intermittent, P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirc Flow Insufficent Detected. Neither of these is the O2 sensor. I'll make the faithful leap that you got the number mixed up and assume it does have to do with the O2 and cat.

Your orig symptom is "doesn't like to speed up as fast", that can be caused if the O2 goes into a mode where it thinks the car is lean so it'll pump more gas than needed causing your engine to run rich and making your car slow, burning up excessive gas, and probably failing an emissions test. A P0401 wouln't do produce the sysmtom you have and a P0104 might possibly I suppose.

If you don't fix it, and it is your O2, then you'll also destroy your cat. So I'd fix it.

What I'd recommend is get the code, and with it call differnet garages and ask them how much to "replace the whatevers broken". You have the advantage because your car is drivable, it's when you can't drive is when a shop can really screw you. You can try fixing it yourself but thats no fun, you'll need the right tools, risk your life while under the car, .... , sometimes not worth it.

Good luck

Old 08-17-04, 12:07 PM
codes don't equal bad parts...

...it's NOT reasonable to replace a part just because there is a code associated with that circuit. EGR failures most definately CAN cause lack of power...as can mass air flow sensor problems...when I looked up both codes for that year, make and model...there wasn't any p0104. not saying that it doesn't exist, just that it wasn't listed in my info system. having said that...amandaleigh...we can't tell you much more unless you have good info for us...the exact code number is important.