"Check Engine" Light in 96 Grand Cherokee

Old 08-16-04, 04:45 PM
"Check Engine" Light in 96 Grand Cherokee

My Jeep GC failed the Texas State Inspection today because the Check Engine light did not come on during the test. The inspector said "he thought it was just a burned out bulb" but he would have to remove the dash board in order to change the bulb and that would cost "about $69.00 in labor". I was suspicious of this so just paid for the oil change and took the car back home. I checked online at the Texas Inspection website and saw nothing about that light playing a roll unless it is buried somewhere I didn't see. Also, if it is just the bulb then I would like to change it myself if someone can tell me how to do it.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-04, 05:51 PM
You would need to remove the instrument panel cluster to access the bulb.If Texas has OBDII testing for emissions the malfunction indicator lamp is part of the test.AKA the check engine lamp.That's what we have in Pittsburgh PA and if the lamp doesn't come on you fail.There are also other ways to fail,was the entire test run for readiness monitors and gas cap test?

Old 08-16-04, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jerry Kay
The inspector said "he thought it was just a burned out bulb" but he would have to remove the dash board in order to change the bulb and that would cost "about $69.00 in labor".
That sounds pretty fair to me. You can try it yourself but if you break any of the plastic bezel because you didn't know where all the hidden screws were, then it will end up costing you more than that. You decide.