Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Water pump or radiator?

08-17-04, 06:11 PM   #1  
Water pump or radiator?

hi gang:

I got another question. How can you tell if your water pump is bad or your radiator is going bad? We just bought and installed a new water pump but it still seems like I have to fill it with radiator fluid every 2-3 days.

Thanks
Susan

Sponsored Links

GA

08-17-04, 06:20 PM   #2  
You installed it yourself, or you had a mechanic do it?

Try to find where it leaks from. Usually this is best done using water & running the car. It could simply be a hose. Also, the water pump has a gasket. You did put a new gasket on too, no?

08-17-04, 06:32 PM   #3  
Yes gasket is on it. Put it on ourselves.

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

08-18-04, 08:27 AM   #4  
You should be able to see an external leak. Look for drops on the ground, coolant stains around or below the water pump, radiator, hoses etc. Check with the engine cold and hot. Also smell for the aroma for antifreeze. If you still cannot find anything, it may be internal - usually a head gasket. Have a radiator pressure test done and also a compression check.

GA

08-18-04, 06:26 PM   #5  
Sorry I'm to cheap for something like a pressure test.

I'd say fill it up with water & run the engine. You should be able to spot the leak.

Then it's a good idea to change the hoses, anyways. I drive a '90 Geo Tracker, so whenever something like 1 hose goes bad, I'm changing every hose I can get at (heater, radiator, even the thermastat).

Visiting Guest

08-28-04, 06:19 PM   #6  
nelson knowles
Wait untill the engine is cool. At night get a bright spot light and look at the engine all over, all hose for wet spot or leaks. If no luck keep driving and and the leak will become larger untill you will be able to see it with no problem. It happen to me two years ago. It leak only when the engine was hot and it did get bigger. Don't sped any money just put in water for now.

08-29-04, 03:35 AM   #7  
Posted By: Quark Sorry I'm to cheap for something like a pressure test.

I'd say fill it up with water & run the engine. You should be able to spot the leak.
OK, you got to be kidding! Pressure has to be applied to the system to find leaks. The system is under pressure when it is running so that has to be duplicated for the leak to show up. A hot engine can burn it off as fast as it comes out. If your too cheap for this procedure, then you need to consider riding the bus.

VA

09-01-04, 05:33 PM   #8  
Radiator Cap?

I had a car that did this. I had replaced the radiator, but re-used the old cap. It was bad and not holding pressure, so the coolant would simply boil out. It took me a while to figure out what was going on. Please let me know if this helps.

09-02-04, 06:25 PM   #9  
Thanks
Just wondering....how did you come to the conclusion that the radiator was the problem?

09-02-04, 06:30 PM   #10  
Posted By: scarrington Thanks
Just wondering....how did you come to the conclusion that the radiator was the problem?
Probably with a pressure test........

Search this Thread