Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

90 safari power window partial power

08-18-04, 08:34 AM   #1  
90 safari power window partial power

Good Day,

I'm back again, old faithful (90 safari) is becoming less faithful.

The passenger side power window intermittently stops working.
It works intermittently from both the driver and passenger control.

I disconnected the wiring connector from the motor to check for voltage.
The repair manual says you will get positive voltage one direction and negative for the motor to go the other direction.
My multimeter tells me, the connector going to the window motor gets power for the window to go up, whenever the switches are pushed to go up. When the switches are pushed to go down, only some times their is reverse power for the window to go down. Most of the time there is no power at all to go down. It is intermitent so I am wondering if there is a lose ground or something, or a toasted relay. I have no idea where the relays would be located.

Where would you experts suggest I try concentrating my efforts.

thank you in advance of your ultimate wisdom

bill

Sponsored Links

08-19-04, 03:21 AM   #2  
retest it to make sure you are checking correctly take a test light or voltmeter whichever you are using and place both leads into the two wire connector one lead on each wire now operate the switch you should see test light light each time both going up or down using a voltmeter you should see 12 volts in both going up and down checking it this way ensures you have both power and ground if this checks ok you likely have a bad window motor.
if not you should check the passenger switch and the wiring loom where it goes into the opening of the door pull back the rubber cover to check for damaged wires.
a wiring diagram would help you test the switch and wiring if needed.
I dont believe this model uses a relay of any type for the power windows but does probably use a circuit breaker in the fuse box for power supply to the window switch.

Search this Thread