'02 pathfinder, water in fuel

Old 08-18-04, 06:33 PM
Question '02 pathfinder, water in fuel

I have a 02 nissan pathfinder, 40K miles, auto. The service engine soon light came on. Took to Autozone to pull the code. P1140, water in fuel. Filled up with fresh fuel, car runs fine, actually never did run bad. Does anyone know how to manually reset the code on this vehicle.

DJ

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-04, 08:00 PM
Johnc280
Visiting Guest
I have never heard of a P-code for water in fuel. First I would take it to another place and have the trouble code checked again before clearing it. Then, if you want it reset just ask them to do it then with the scantool.

Johnny

Old 08-19-04, 03:41 AM
Yes, a P1140 actually is a water in fuel code. Just refilling the tank is not enough. You need to add a fuel additive to remove the water and change the fuel filter. Then the same guy that read the code can reset it. He may have already done that and it just came back because the problem still exists. Get it fixed before you start having some much more expensive problems.

Old 08-20-04, 08:13 AM
Fyi

Thanks

I added a bottle of "HEET" to the tank (5/8 tank). Change the fuel filter. FYI to anyone the fuel filter is at the back of the vehicle tank tucked above rear differential, not hard to change, spent about as much time trying to find the silly thing. The Autozone will not reset the codes, something about liabilty.

DJ

Old 08-20-04, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by djengr
Thanks
The Autozone will not reset the codes, something about liabilty.
DJ
That sounds really fishy. they ought to worry more about the liability of all their incorrect diagnosing to sell parts. Go back another time when someone else is working. You'll never get the same answer twice in that place.