Changing '99 Explorer Fuel Filter

Old 08-18-04, 06:50 PM
Unhappy Changing '99 Explorer Fuel Filter

Well first off I'll give you the problem. For about a month now I have had a few times where it was difficult to get the truck started. I had to stand on the gas to get it going. After it fired it was ok. I put fuel injection cleaner in it last week thinking it may help the problem. Today I tried to start it and it would only start if I stood on the gas but would stall as soon as I released the pedal. I now will not stay running unless I have my foot on the gas.

I picked up a fuel filter to start there. Hopefully this is the problem. I took off both of the clamps but I can't seem to get the filter free from the line. Is there a trick or is there a tool that I need to relese this?

Also, does it sound like the problem may just be the filter or is it the fuel pump?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-04, 07:49 PM
Johnc280
Visiting Guest
To change the filter you will need a quick disconnect tool. They are easy to find at almost any part store and usually only a couple of dollars.

I don't think your problem is either the filter or the pump. It sounds more like an air flow sensor, idle air control problem, large vacuum leak etc. When you push the gas pedal down you are actually just opening the throttle body to allow more air to your engine....the computer controls the amount of gas you get with the fuel injection. (simplified explanation)

Check these few things and then post your findings (if you can't get the tools or equip you may want to take it to a repair facility for a diagnosis.)

1. What is the fuel pressure while you are trying to crank the truck.
2. Are you getting spark?
3. Are there any trouble codes stored?

Good luck,

Johnny

Old 08-19-04, 04:56 AM
It sounds just like a Idle Air Control Valve but You might need to clean the throttle body also.

Old 08-19-04, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by hogfan
It sounds just like a Idle Air Control Valve but You might need to clean the throttle body also.
That will have absolutely nothing to do with a hard start condition. Sounding like a fuel pressure issue but needs to be tested further.

Old 08-19-04, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Desi501
That will have absolutely nothing to do with a hard start condition. Sounding like a fuel pressure issue but needs to be tested further.
How wrong you are! If you hold the throttle down part way and the vehicle starts and runs ok, but shuts off as soon as you release your foot, it is almost surely the IAC valve. These vehicles are famous for problems with these valves. I have replaced dozens of them on late model Fords.

Old 08-19-04, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Dirt
Well first off I'll give you the problem. For about a month now I have had a few times where it was difficult to get the truck started. I had to stand on the gas to get it going. After it fired it was ok.
I'm well aware of the problems with Ford IACs
It won't give you that symptom.

Search this Thread