Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

car will not stay on

Visiting Guest

08-21-04, 11:03 AM   #1  
jdcuzmar
car will not stay on

I have a 2000 Ford Taurus V6 3.2L That the motor will not stay on unless I accelerate the gas. However, after it runs for 30min the problemm will vanish.
The battery is good, the belts are all secured, and the only thing I can think of is the alternator. How can I check this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links

08-22-04, 06:03 AM   #2  
It is not the alternator.If the service engine soon light is on have your codes read and post the code # here.Try cleaning the throttle body with carb cleaner and an old toothbrush.While you are at it clean the IAC valve also see what happens after that.

Visiting Guest

09-07-04, 07:46 AM   #3  
jdcuzmar
I tried cleaning the throttle body and the IAC valve, but that did not work. Any other suggestions??

09-07-04, 12:55 PM   #4  
Ford does not recomend cleaning their throttle bodys due to a coating inside. Does the car seem to run rich or does it idle ok?

09-07-04, 03:07 PM   #5  
Have you checked the fuel pressure yet with a guage and compared it to the specs in your service manual?Try cleaning the MAF sensor also just in case it has oil on it.How many miles on the car?

Visiting Guest

09-08-04, 10:05 PM   #6  
squidgrouch
More than likely, the iac valve is faulty. Have an assistant start the vehicle. At the same time, tap on the valve with a very small hammer, or something like that. Engine speed will likely change. Use a factory part.

Visiting Guest

09-10-04, 04:58 PM   #7  
slicker
Posted By: squidgrouch More than likely, the iac valve is faulty. Have an assistant start the vehicle. At the same time, tap on the valve with a very small hammer, or something like that. Engine speed will likely change. Use a factory part.
gotta agree. ford can not design a perfect iac valve. take the valve off and shine a flashlight thru one of the holes and see if you can see light thru the other hole. alot of times the plunger inside sticks.

Search this Thread