Jeep wrangler serpentine drivebelt replacement

Old 08-17-04, 03:22 PM
savinmoney
Visiting Guest
Question Jeep wrangler serpentine drivebelt replacement

I am in need of a serpentine belt replacement as mine is cracked in several places and my haynes book doen't explain much in this area. The book is not clear at all on how to remove the old, and put on the new. This is my vehicle data....1991 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 5sp no air conditioning. Will I need any special tools for this job? I have the new belt, braker bar, and sockets for the replacement, but I don't know where to begin taking the old one off. Thanks for any help on this.

Old 08-17-04, 06:59 PM
Johnc280
Visiting Guest
I believe that model year you had to use the power steering pump as the tensioner. You have to loosen 3 bolts that hold the pump in place. The top one is easiest to get to, that is the one the pump will pivot on. There is one in the back of the pump at the bottom that bolts through a slotted section of the bracket. The last one is also the lock for the tension adjusting screw under the pump that points to the front. After you losen all 3 of those then put slack in the belt by turning the adjusting bolt in the loosening direction.

That is a little difficult to describe and I am doing it from memory. There are a few different types through the years, hope I got the right one.

If that doesnt help just post again and maybe I can get some better info.

Johnny

Old 08-17-04, 07:14 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
No Special Tools

Make sure your routing diagram is still on the underside of your hood or make your own drawing
You've got to loosen up one of your accessories to get the belt off
Usually the alternator is the best, sometimes only choice
Loosen the bolt on the top of the alt. that holds the alt. to the bracket (you'll see the adjustment slot in the bracket)
Loosen the bottom alt. to bracket bolt
The alt. should flop over enough to slide the belt off and the new one on
Push the alt. back nice and snug (a careful crowbar helps) and tighten the bolts

*most serpentine belts have a spring-loaded tensioner pully that you pull back with a special tool or ratchet or breaker bar, yours doesn't so it's kinda weird you have to do the alt. thing

Old 08-17-04, 07:16 PM
S
Whups guess I type too slow
It's not the alt.?

Old 08-17-04, 07:22 PM
S
Well if the alt. bracket doesn't have a slot, loosen up that pump

Old 08-20-04, 12:04 PM
savinmoney
Visiting Guest
Smile

OK, thanks Johnny...I found the three bolts on the power steering pump that you refer to..one on the front for pivot point, and two at the back side, one upper in a slot, and one lower in a slot. now....which bolt is the adjuster that you refer to to tighten & loosen the belt...or is there a fourth bolt somewhere else on the pump? Also, do I need to move the power steering pump with a crowbar once I get the new belt on? If so, can I use the bracket that it is bolted to for leverage? How much force is required to get the belt to the right tension? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to be sure I am capable of doing this job BEFORE I take the old one off. Thanks
Ruth

Old 08-21-04, 03:00 PM
Johnc280
Visiting Guest
The adjuster bolt in under the p/s pump. If you are standing in front of the Jeep facing the engine compartment the head of the bolt should be to the right side of the pump resevoir. It screws in from the side. I think it is a lot easier to get too if you remove the air filter housing.

If you have all the bolts loosened up then you should not need a pry bar at all. P/S pump resevoirs are easy to break and if you try to pry it you may be buying a new one. This style of belt is one of my least favorite to do so I hope things work out for you.

Johnny

Old 08-22-04, 05:19 PM
savinmoney
Visiting Guest
Armed with this info, I will be giving it a try. I'm hoping it all works out, but if not, I have a repair shop 2 miles away that makes house calls if I don't get it right. It not being your favorite belt to work on have me a little worried though. Any special reason for that?? The pattern looks easy enough to do, and because I don't have A/C thats one less item to snake around, but what worries me is getting it tight enough after I get it in place. Anyway, I will give it a try at least be next weekend. Thanks again for all the good info before I start. I will let you know how I make out...either way.

Old 08-30-04, 05:50 PM
savinmoney
Visiting Guest
Up Date With Much Thanks

Well, thanks to you experts, I was a success at changing that belt!! I took a little longer than was probably necessary, but I was doing it slow to make sure I didn't foul up. Also a special thanks to Johnc280 for the hint about taking off the air filter housing before I started was a GREAT hint! Make the job go alot better. Thanks again for all your good advice. I must say I LOVE THIS WEBSITE.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: