Oil in my air filter??

Old 08-23-04, 07:22 AM
sicando
Visiting Guest
Oil in my air filter??

I'm a bit confused...I was losing oil at the top of my valve cover where the air inlet plugs into the valve cover so I replaced both the fresh air inlet grommet and the ccv grommet and the oil leak stopped, but now I have oil in my air filter....I checked my oil level and it is within the marks for full/empty and now my car stalls on deseleration, but not at idle??? I don't know what went wrong, I fixed one problem, and created two new ones!! I have a 1991 Jeep Wrangler 6cy. 5 speed shift. Please help me solve this one. Also, when I replaced the two grommets (molded ends that screw into the cover) I did not replace the molded hoses as they appeared clean. should I have replaced them as well?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-04, 07:57 AM
replace the crankcase...

...tube. it's the hard plastic tube going from the top of the valve cover to the intake manifold. it comes as an assembly and most all dealers stock it. the problem is that the normal pressure buildup in the crankcase is not being vented properly...the orifice may be partially or completely stopped up. this is common in jeeps. it may also be the root of your idle problems as well...take care of the maintenance issues first and see what your results are

Old 08-23-04, 08:22 AM
sicando
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your fast reply! I will order that hose today (Jeep says they don't stock that old of a part) and take care of that issue, and I hope it solves my stalling as well. I will let you know the results, and again thanks for your fast reply and good advice.

Old 08-29-04, 02:21 PM
sicando
Visiting Guest
Yes, it worked! I got the parts from the jeep dealer, and replaced the crankcase hose & MAP hose that came with it, and I no longer have oil in my air filter! My problem with stalling has not been solved however. I stall whenever I am coming to a stop, or slowing down. Once the Jeep gets up to running temp. I have this problem. It fires right up again, and runs fine if I am feeding it gas, but it will stall when I am slowing down. I changed spark plugs & wires about 600 miles ago, (the dist. cap & points looked fine) and I added a fuel injector cleaner last week, but I still have the problem. The jeep runs fine otherwise. Any suggestions?

Old 08-30-04, 04:05 AM
try cleaning the ...

...throttle body with some carb spray and an old tooth brush. try to get the back and edges of the throttle blade as well as the sides of the housing. you can alos spray a shop towel and opent eh throttle with one hand and use the rag over your finger to wipe the sides completely clean.

Old 08-30-04, 06:04 PM
sicando
Visiting Guest
Ok, that was the ticket. I couldn't believe how gunky it was in that area of the throttle body. I guess it stands to reason if I got oil in the air filter, some must have gotten over to that area. Anyway, I cleaned it real good, and I feel sure that soulved the problem. Thank YOu