Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Pathfinder rocking

Sir Ug

08-23-04, 06:23 PM   #1  
Pathfinder rocking

My 1996 Nissan Pathfinder rocks side to side in the front when you drive over uneven road or slight steering movement at speed >70mph while in 2 wheel drive. When I put it in 4WD it does not rock. It is a scary feeling when it happens. You have to slow down when it happens for it to stop rocking. I think it can go out of control. The car was aligned, wheels balanced and rotated many times and tire pressure does not affected it much. New rear shock and front shocks are installed. Only 12000 miles on tires. It seems not to happen as much with new tire.

Any suggestion?

Last edited by jtdead; 08-24-04 at 06:14 AM. Reason: spelling error

Sponsored Links

08-24-04, 04:40 AM   #2  
are the tires the factory recomended size?
suggest having the suspension checked over again may have sway bar link that is bad.

Sir Ug

08-24-04, 04:48 AM   #3  
Yes, the tires are factory recomended size.

Visiting Guest

08-24-04, 10:40 AM   #4  
lorenzanaj
I'm not familar w/ 4wd but on 2wd vechicles, worn shocks/springs would have similar effect. Park the car and get near the front fender and bounce the car and see if it settles immediately w/o bouncing up and down. Also look for oil leaking from the shocks.

Jay

Sir Ug

09-02-04, 12:44 PM   #5  
Just to let everyone know, I had the rear axle upper and lower ties replaced and the pathfinder handles like new. The only problem now is I am $1300 poorer now.

I attempted to do it myself but the bolts were impossible to get off with the tools I have. Parts for this job is approximately $600 so if you have the proper tools and time, doityourself and save a buck.

Jtdead

Last edited by jtdead; 09-08-04 at 08:30 AM.

Search this Thread