1986 Volvo electrical problems

Old 08-24-04, 06:36 PM
porchey
Visiting Guest
1986 Volvo electrical problems

Hello, I've been trying to fix this old Volvo for the last few days. I've tried replacing the battery and the alternator but the problem still exists. It seems the alternator is not charging the battery, it will jumpstart and stay running but when headlamps or brakes are used the idle drops and it usually shuts off.
Also, when the lights are on (while running) and gas is applied the lights actually get dimmer.
There was a lead wire from the alternator and another wire in the same harness that went in the engine block that either burnt up or the sleeving broke off which were touching but both were replaced. I thought that was the problem but after the new battery lost its juice the car has been doing the same thing again. I figure it's a short somewhere but I don't even know where to begin looking for it
Any suggestions would be great or if someone knows where to get a wiring diagram for a 1986 Volvo 240 DL that would help
Thanks

Old 08-24-04, 07:58 PM
Johnc280
Visiting Guest
A lot of the European vehicles made the charging system warning light on your dash "part" of the charging system. If this bulb is blown it will act as an open in the circuit and the alternator field windings will not energize and the alternator will not charge. Turn the key on with the engine off and see if the bulb illuminates.

Johnny

Old 06-04-12, 06:58 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Which dash light exactly are you refering to? Is it just the battery/alternator light, or any dash light? My car is doing the same thing and I have checked the alternator and it is working fine. I really do not want to go through the process of changing it because I really do not feel it is bad. My dash lights all work but the bulb notification light. I am very frustrated, please help it you can.

Thank you

Old 06-04-12, 08:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
You're in an 8 year old thread and neither poster in the thread is active at present. Please start a new thread with your Q.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: