Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Voyager Tranny Problem

Visiting Guest

08-25-04, 03:22 PM   #1  
cyclist110
Voyager Tranny Problem

I have a 92 3.3L Voyager. The transmission is not shifting properly, when I put it in drive or reverse it really clunks and when driving it stays in one gear (I believe 2nd). This I believe to be related to the replacing of radiator which has an external transmission oil cooler attached. When the van is cool, ie first thing in the morning it seems to shift just fine but later on in the day the problem shows up.
Any ideas? Anyone know which is the tranny return hose?

C.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

08-26-04, 04:08 AM   #2  
Unlikely your radiator replacment has anything to do with it; lots of tranny problems manifest themselves exactly as you describe - shift fine cold but act up after reaching operating temperature. You don't say how many miles are on it, but a 12 year old vehicle is bound have have 125-150,000 miles on it; more than enough to have reached the tranny wear-out point. Best to get it checked out properly at a good tranny shop. If you can't remember the last time you had it serviced (Filter and fluid change) you could try that, but don't get your hopes up.

VA

08-26-04, 04:23 AM   #3  
2nd gear only...

...indicates a chrysler trans in default. in other words, the trans controller has experienced a fault of some sort and defaulted to 2nd gear only operation. a competent trans shop can read the fault codes and also monitor the CVI (clutch volume index) for the hydraulic components in the trans. this will tell and experienced rebuilder where the trouble spot is. not sure whether you have a 3 speed or an OD trans in that van (my guess would be OD behind a 3.3)...the OD units are pretty notorius for failing at 100K or less...the 3 speed units are much more dependable. i agree with TTG here...have it checked out but don't be to hopeful...esp if it's an OD trans.

PS...i don't believe the rad has anything to do with it either

Search this Thread