Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

high/low beam problem

Visiting Guest

08-25-04, 06:37 PM   #1  
jrodcat
high/low beam problem

I have a 72 VW Bus (Transporter). My high beam and low beams work some of the time but it looks like there's a short in the relay. I say this because I can squeeze the connection by hand onto one of the terminals on the relay and they'll start working again (switching high/low). Problem is I've bought two new ones and they dont work at all. They dont even make the clicking sound. I was hoping there's some one out here with some electrical know how that can give me some direction. The replacement relays look identical, but they dont work. The original one does work but not all the time. If somebody out there has any suggestions I sure would appreciate it. I'm almost done with this vehicle and it is a lot of fun to drive. Please help!

Sponsored Links

NC

08-25-04, 09:36 PM   #2  
It sounds like the relay socket is the problem if you are always getting voltage to it when you should. The contacts have become too lose and/or corroted. Check relay for corrosion on the leads too. Try spreading apart the leads on the working relay a little to get a tighter connection. I'm not sure why the news ones don't work if they are electrically identical to the original one and the leads are the same dimensions. Are you sure they are 12V relays?

Visiting Guest

08-26-04, 06:42 PM   #3  
jrodcat
Yes, they are 12 volts. The only difference is that the old one says 100W and the new ones I have both say 2X100 ? What does that mean? I took the leads off the socket and attached the relay directly to the wires. Same problem. They work untill theyre hot and then I have to wiggle the leads to get the lights to switch from high to low beam. This is so frustrating...

NC

08-29-04, 05:36 PM   #4  
I'm not excatly sure what the numbers on the relays mean but since the new ones have never worked for you, my guess is that the new relays are not the same the old one that does work sometimes. If you haven't done so already, check to see if any other relays on your bus looks like it might be the same as the one you're having trouble with and swap them. Otherwise, I suggest getting a new relay from somewhere else. A new compatible relay should work at least as well as the old one.

Search this Thread