1986 Ford LTD

Old 08-26-04, 08:20 PM
campbellclan88
Visiting Guest
Angry 1986 Ford LTD

I have a 86 ford ltd that wont start with the fuel injectors plugged in. You have to unplug it start it and then after it starts and you plug it in it runs perfect. I have replaced the injectors because they looked like they were flooding. That didn't solve the problem. I also tried the TPS and that didn't do it either. So I am wondering if that will solve the problem. If not, does anyone know why it floods when trying to start?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-04, 02:25 AM
Maybe it's time to look at the strength of the ignition system. Try and adjustable spark tester at the plug and see just how big of a gap it will jump. You could have a weak ignition system making the plugs foul easily. Is it running rich when it does run?

Old 08-27-04, 02:59 AM
also suggest you have codes read on the computer as it may have a code set for a sensor that may be reading inncorectly.
is this throttle body injected?

Old 08-27-04, 10:37 AM
campbellclan88
Visiting Guest
86 ford LTD

Originally Posted by Desi501
Maybe it's time to look at the strength of the ignition system. Try and adjustable spark tester at the plug and see just how big of a gap it will jump. You could have a weak ignition system making the plugs foul easily. Is it running rich when it does run?
All of the ignition is new and the car does the same thing with the old injectors but neither of them let it burn rich. The car when running runs and excelerates perfectly. When you go back to start it the injectors put out a very large spray pattern like if you where passing someone. It has a throttle body injector system and is not Calif. specs. I am wondering if it has a computer on it and if that is the problem for starting. Thank you, I will await you response.

Old 08-27-04, 10:42 AM
campbellclan88
Visiting Guest
86 Ford Ltd

Originally Posted by bejay
also suggest you have codes read on the computer as it may have a code set for a sensor that may be reading inncorectly.
is this throttle body injected?
It has a throttle body and where is the computer located and how can you check the codes? This is the only thing I can think of aswell. Thank you. I awit your response.

Old 08-27-04, 11:18 AM
Nascar24Fan
Visiting Guest
Hi campbellclan88,
About 10 years ago I was told I needed to replace a couple sensors, one was the TPS on an 85 Mercury Topaz. After replacing them, I was very upset to find that it ran no better with the new parts. After a few calls & getting no where, I finally got the help I needed. I was told that anytime you replace ANY electrical part or sensors you will need to disconnect the battery for a few minutes to clear the dead codes. Once you have replaced the parts needed, reconnect the battery & the computer codes will be reset. Also, I was informed that I could do severe damage to other components if I didn't disconnect the battery before installing electrical parts.

I am not sure if this will help you in your situation or not, but it can be helpful information in the event you may need other parts replaced.

Wish you luck

Old 08-27-04, 01:07 PM
campbellclan88
Visiting Guest
86 Ford LTD

Originally Posted by Nascar24Fan
Hi campbellclan88,
About 10 years ago I was told I needed to replace a couple sensors, one was the TPS on an 85 Mercury Topaz. After replacing them, I was very upset to find that it ran no better with the new parts. After a few calls & getting no where, I finally got the help I needed. I was told that anytime you replace ANY electrical part or sensors you will need to disconnect the battery for a few minutes to clear the dead codes. Once you have replaced the parts needed, reconnect the battery & the computer codes will be reset. Also, I was informed that I could do severe damage to other components if I didn't disconnect the battery before installing electrical parts.

I am not sure if this will help you in your situation or not, but it can be helpful information in the event you may need other parts replaced.

Wish you luck
Thank You for that info I have forgoten about all that. I seldom work on cars anymore, Most are diesel and other than the computers I like them a little better. But I am glad I don't do it for a liveing.

Old 08-27-04, 05:05 PM
No, DON"T clear the computer until somebody reads the codes. That information is put there so a technician has some data to help his diagnosis. That car is capable of running self tests. Let someone with a scanner run the KOEO and KOER tests to see what it shows. Earlier I asked you to check the spark, I didn't ask you if you changed parts? You have to start with the basics and see what it is that your lacking. You need to know just how well your ignition system is working so we need to know just what voltage it's capable of. Like I said, get an adjustable spark tester and see how much spark you have.