Gearshift Lever

Old 08-27-04, 07:24 AM
Gearshift Lever

I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of whats wrong with my daughter's truck.It is a 1991 GMC Sonoma, standard transmission.She is having a hard time getting the gear shift lever to move into the 1st and 2nd gear positions. It goes into third without a problem and the truck runs fine once it is in third gear. The clutch was replaced about 6 months ago. Do you think it could be the transmission? If it is, I don't know if it is worth fixing because she is also having AC problems. She bought it about 14 months ago for about $1500.00 if I remember correctly. I believe she got her money out of it but I don't know it it's worth sinking a lot of money into fixing it. Does anyone have any ideas about what could be the problem? I appreciate your help. Kathy

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-04, 01:41 PM
Question

Just trying to help here. I would start with the easy to identify stuff. My line of thinking is: 1st and 2nd are both on the far left side of the shift pattern (floor shift?). I would look to ensure nothing got dropped down under the shift boot and is blocking the shift lever, than look under truck to ensure linkage is all secure and not hitting something there.

Can you shift it easily when the truck is not running? Engine running, but not moving, just going through the gears with clutch in?

When shifting, does she "grind" the gears or it is just hard to shift?

Old 08-27-04, 02:11 PM
Gearshift Lever

Trying2Help, I appreciate the information. I will ask my daughter to check out the shift boot to make sure nothing is blocking it and to look under the truck to check out the linkage. As far as whether or not it shifts easily when running but not moving with the clutch in or if it grinds, I don't know. I think, however, she just has a problem moving the gearshift. She is at work. As soon as I can get some answers, I will let you know something.I do not know how to drive a floor shift or I would go outside and shift it to see what happens. Thank you for you help. Kathy

Old 08-27-04, 02:17 PM
Talking

Not a problem. When you check the boot, make sure you look under the boot. I only say this, cause my daughter's hair brush found it's way down into that area and she too had problems. Once we removed the "missing hair brush" the shifter was able to move over far enough to shift.

I am at work now, slow day. So if you don't hear back from me until Monday it will be cause I went home and got put to work!

Hope it is something this easy. Or you get more help from others on this post.

Old 08-27-04, 02:54 PM
Gearshift Lever

Trying2Help, I hope it's something as simple as a hairbrush but somehow I don't believe that's the case. I may not be able to answer your questions until Saturday. My daughter works odd hours. She may not be home to check things out until Saturday morning. I really do appreciate your help. Kathy

Old 08-27-04, 03:46 PM
Try changing the gear oil over to synthetic it sometimes helps in these situations on the older s/t series trucks.Is your daughter learning to drive a manual trans with this truck or did she already know how?Is the clutch master cylinder full of fluid?

Old 08-27-04, 09:56 PM
Gearshift Lever

My daughter had driven a standard for years, but, up until the time she bought this truck which was about a year ago, had been driving my car, which has an automatic transmission. I've often wondered if maybe something she's doing is bringing on these problems. I know she has checked the gear oil level in the past but I don't know about the fluid in the clutch master cylinder. I dont't believe the gear oil level has been checked since this problem arose. She did get in the truck this afternoon and was able to shift through all the gears without a problem while it was not running. She will probably take it to a garage on Monday to have it checked out but I'm beginning to think that maybe the problem is her driving. I had a friend who wore out the clutch in her car three times before she finally got the feel for driving a stick shift. I will suggest that she check the fluid levels to see if they are low. I appreciate the advice. Thanks, Kathy

Old 08-28-04, 09:25 AM
Try changing the gear oil to synthetic before taking the truck in for diagnosis.Have her use the truck for several days to see if the problem gets better.

Old 08-30-04, 09:50 AM
Gearshift Lever

Trying2Help and Davo, I want to thank you both for your advice. As it turns out, the truck was low on fluid. Now, neither I nor my daughter know anything other than what we've learned from you about clutch fluid. There is a container near the back wall of the truck on the driver's side marked clutch.In checking the fluid level, it was so low that when fluid was added it gurgled. Now that the fluid level is what it's supposed to be, the truck is performing normally. I know this fluid should be checked on a regular basis. Is it normal for clutch fluid to have to be added and if so why? Usually if you lose fluid, it means you have a leak somewhere. Should she have it checked out for a leak? A new clutch was put in about 6 months ago.I'm just wondering if we should check further for a problem. I appreciate the help. Kathy

Old 08-30-04, 10:23 AM
Red face

Sounds like you do have a leak somewhere. You may be able to take it back to the shop that installed the clutch. If they are nice enough, they may check it out and repair the leak and bleed your clutch for you (no charge). There is a possibility they just forgot to tighten something and it will be a eassy fix. Or you may have to do it yourself. I would suggest you purchase a repair manual for this vehicle or get one from the library and see if it helps you. Sometimes the pictures are worth a 1000 words.
I personally have never bled a clutch or worked on a hydralic clutch, so am not going to be much help here. I am sure it is the same as bleeding brakes, but just have never done it. So, hopefully, Davo will respond to this and give you the detailed information you need.

Old 08-30-04, 11:54 AM
Gearshift Lever

Thank you, Trying2Help. I didn't think it should be losing fluid like that. The mechanic that replaced the clutch on this truck also replaced the struts on the front end of my car. After that job, I took my car back to him to replace the wheel bearing on the front wheels. When I got the car back, it made a popping sound every time I turned the wheels. I took it back to this mechanic and he said that it was the ball joints. I just didn't have the money to replace them. A friend of mine took the car to another shop. They checked it out and discovered that a bolt on the struts did not have a nut on the end of it and the struts were giving because the bolt was not tightened and that was what was making the popping sound. I guess what I am getting at is this mechanic has a history of not finishing off jobs. I just might call him and see if he will check out the work he did on the clutch to see if maybe it is just something simple. I appreciate all you advice. Thanks, Kathy

Old 08-30-04, 03:05 PM
I would replace the clutch master and slave at the same time.If you choose to repair it yourself let us know we will help you get it bled.

Old 08-31-04, 07:46 AM
Gearshift Lever

Trying2Help and Davo, I want to thank you for all your help. I would never even think of attempting to replace the clutch master cylinder or slave and I don't think any of my daughter's friends know enough about automotive repairs to attempt it so I contacted the mechanic that replaced the clutch and told him what the both of you thought. He said if I brought it over he would check it out. If by some chance we attempt this ourselves, I will contact you for help. Thank you again, Kathy

Old 08-31-04, 08:05 AM
Thumbs up

Let us know how it goes. Hopefully, he will find something he forgot to tighten and that will be the end of it.
Personally, I don't see where this should cost you anything, if he forgot to tighten something. He should tighten everything up, bleed the lines and that should be that.
If the clutch is working with the right amount of fluid in it, than I see no reason for anything having to be replaced at this time. Did you get a list of what was replaced before? Did he give you the old parts or at least show them to you?
Good luck and once again...let us know how it all goes.

Old 08-31-04, 09:46 AM
Gearshift Lever

All the mechanic gave us was an invoice showing the cost of the clutch and the labor involved. In the future, I will ask for an itemization of what was done just in case there are problems. I will let you know how things turn out. Thanks for all your help. Kathy