Accord '92 starter motor?

Old 08-27-04, 02:08 PM
Accord '92 starter motor?

Hi!

You guys helped me a lot last time I was replacing the clutch. Now I have something new to me. So, Honda Accord '92 2dr LX manual transmission, won't start. The battery's fine, fuel's there, push start works fine, car is fully operational until you stop the engine. Starter motor doesn't make any attempt to spin, I only hear a click. It looks like a failed starter motor to me, taking into account that I've heard unusual noises from the starter from time to time for the last couple of months. However, I am not familiar at all with the electrics of the car. May that be wires, solenoid, some other electrical problem? I will feel stupid if I replace the starter motor, and the problem will still be there. Is there a reliable (and somewhat simple) way to diagnose this problem? One more thing: a couple of times after I drove for a while after a push start, starter came back to life right after I stopped the engine. If I waited for some hours, it wouldn't start again.

Also, I have found a new Bosch starter motor for $180. Is that a right price? Will Bosch work fine?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-04, 02:33 PM
Group Moderator
Before you spring for the starter, when it's in the no-crank condition try smacking the starter body with a hammer (being careful not to hit anything that will break off) and then give it a try. If it then cranks starter probably bad. But before you shell out the $180 for the entire starter, locate a shop that specializes in starters (you may have to hunt around some) and see if they think replacing the solenoid contacts can be done rather than replacing the whole starter. Ran into this on my wife's Camry about six months ago. Already had the new starter in my possession when someone mentioned that (at least on Toyotas) the starter rarely goes bad and suggested opening up the solenoid to check the contacts. Sure enough, that was the problem. Spent about $20 for parts (two contacts plus the plunger) and it was not a really difficult operation. Probably good for ANOTHER 170,000 miles. I'm guessing a Honda starter and a Toyota starter are not too different.

Old 08-27-04, 04:14 PM
Has the battery been actually tested with equipment?How many volts does the alternator produce?You know Advance or Autozone will test your battery at no charge to you.You may also have a draw on the battery but have it tested first.

Old 09-28-04, 12:59 AM
Ok, it's not the battery, I've replaced it. Also, hammering the starter seems to do the trick, and it cranks for a while after that. So, I am quite sure it's the starter.

How hard is it to open the starter and replace the contacts if that's the problem? Is it worth trying or getting a new starter ($180) is a better idea?
Are there other options?

Thanks!

Old 09-28-04, 07:16 PM
I'd just replace the entire starter and, even though I'm not a big fan, I'd buy it from AutoZone because of the lifetime warranty.

Every time the one in my Isuzu pickup goes bad, I take it back and get a new one.

Matt

Old 09-28-04, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by smogtek
Every time the one in my Isuzu pickup goes bad, I take it back and get a new one.
I dont know about you, but I'd rather spend some extra money buying a quality piece once and be done with it, instead of having to replace it all the time. The extra headache isnt worth the money. Or maybe I'm getting lazy in my old age....

Old 09-28-04, 08:26 PM
Yep, but it seems like the quality of replacement parts is bad everywhere these days.

Either no one takes pride in the quality of their work or, more likely, companies do EVERYTHING on the cheap and that's what you get.

I probably R&R the starter every 12-18 months and, since it's not a big deal, I can live with it.

Matt