Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Power Test? Dyno Alternatives

Visiting Guest

08-29-04, 09:06 PM   #1  
Guitarman500
Power Test? Dyno Alternatives

HI I have a 1994 Acura Integra LS 1.8LT 4 Cylinder, 5 Speed Manual. with 101.000 MIles on it. I was wondering if I could somehow test my engines power/HP to see if its running at what it should be for its age. Are there test similar to a Dyno? If I dont have Access to a Dyno what are the alternatives? I realize It doesnt have the same Horsepower as It did 10 years go. What should I consider doing? My brother who is ASE Certified said I should consider having the engine rebuilt if I was concerned about the Engines Horsepower. The Cars body is in perfect condition. the Engine seems to be running strong but I still would like to compare its peak power now to what it should be.

Sponsored Links

08-30-04, 02:39 AM   #2  
a dyno that you drive the car on will only test hp getting to the wheels and will be of little help determining engine hp which would have to be done with the engine out of the car and mounted on a dyno.
if its running ok I wouldnt be to concerned about it, as it likely still has some miles left in it before anything major goes wrong.

08-30-04, 03:27 AM   #3  
A quick compression test will tell you about all you need to know about the engine's potential to produce horsepower. If the compression is good, then it's all in the sensors, external parts and tuning after that.

Search this Thread