Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Location of voltage reg on 85 ram van??

Visiting Guest

08-31-04, 01:01 PM   #1  
Salmonslammer I
Location of voltage reg on 85 ram van??

I am 1k miles from home right now and my alt or volt reg has took a poop. Can anyone give me the location of it???? It's a 318. All my manuals are at home. I metered out the battery and it was at 9.6v running at 1500 RPM. Im off to the auto parts store to get alt tested right now..figure I might as well do both.

Sponsored Links

NH

08-31-04, 01:44 PM   #2  
If I remember correctly (and it is highly likely that I might not) I thought it was part of the alternator.

Visiting Guest

08-31-04, 05:27 PM   #3  
Salmonslammer I
I thought that too... I had a buddy of mine go to the house and get the chiltons.... In the wiring scematic it shows an external VR....yet I can't find it..

Visiting Guest

08-31-04, 05:47 PM   #4  
McDann
The voltage regulator should be located on the firewall near the computer.
If this is EFI the alternator is controlled by the computer.

08-31-04, 06:28 PM   #5  
Correct, the regulator is in the computer for all fuel injected vehicles, Chrysler that is.

Visiting Guest

09-01-04, 06:12 AM   #6  
Salmonslammer I
It's not efi.....does that still make a difference?

09-01-04, 08:29 AM   #7  
As I remember the voltage regulator is located high on the firewall slightly to the left of center looking at the engine with the hood open. Three bolts hold it and when I changed mine there were 3 different sized bolts. It may be buried under some wiring. The bolts are important to get tight as they provide a ground.

Visiting Guest

09-06-04, 05:22 AM   #8  
Salmonslammer I
Found it.......Passenger side, behind the wiper motor, buried under a bunch of wiring harnesses.... Thanks again!!

Search this Thread