Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

98 Chevy Blazer Expert Help Needed

Visiting Guest

09-01-04, 11:14 AM   #1  
nomarbicicleta
98 Chevy Blazer Expert Help Needed

Hello...this is my first time posting here, but could use some help on saving money and fixing my "new to me" car before it busts.

Specs:
98 Chevy Blazer 2 Wheel Drive
97,000 miles
Auto Transmission
6 Cylinder Eng.
Poor College Student

I don't know what else you guys need. Anyway here's what's going on with my machine right now. When I recieved the car from my parents the windshield wipers were sporatic. When I'd spray to clean off the windshield they wouldn't stop going for the next minute. It turned into them not turning on every so often. Then my odometer (which is digital) started cutting in and out. I thought they might be related due to an electrical short so I took it into a Pep Boys shop to have them do a diagnosis on it to see what the issue was. The 2 hour diagnosis turned into an all day affair in which they told me they wanted to replace the wiper engine.

Apparently a new engine for the windshield wipers would fix the odometer cutting in and out. 200 bucks for the engine and 75 bucks for the installation. That's on top of the 75 bucks they had me pay just for the diagnosis. Now, it didn't make sense that the motor was causing this. The wipers still functioned, but just not electrically so. So I paid for the diagnosis (also replaced my tires there...and the *******s gave me WHITE WALLS and wouldn't exchange them!!!!) and went home to look at the wiper engine. I found it easily and it looked normal. I then unhooked it to see if the engine had an effect on the odometer sketchin in and out.

So OF COURSE I drove around for awhile and even with it unhooked it was cutting in and out. I then kinda tinkered with the wiring going into my wiper motor and BAM it was working fine...for about a week. So this is where I am now. My odometer seems to be getting worse, and the windshield wipers are still inconsistant. I'm pissed at the people at Pep Boys for taking my money without a real diagnosis. Would they refund it? What advice could you guys give me on what to do? I have a friend living with me who knows quite a bit about engines and cars and could assist me, but doesn't know much about electrical. Anything the experts could tell me would be much appreciated. I'm located in Southern California just north of Los Angeles.

Sponsored Links

09-01-04, 12:21 PM   #2  
if wiggling the connector at the wiper motor gets them to work you could either replace the motor with a remanufactured one or just replace the plastic housing where the electrical connector plugs into as that is the portion of the motor that commonly goes bad.
if your odometer goes completly blank otherwise works sometimes sometimes it doesnt it will probably need pulled and sent off to be rebuilt might check with your local dealer as per cost. there is other places such as mrwhizard.com that you might check with or you might be able to find someone localy able to rebuild it.

Visiting Guest

09-01-04, 02:35 PM   #3  
nomarbicicleta
Thanks for your help. Do you know of where I could buy the connection plug for the wiper motor? Is it easy or difficult to replace it? I noticed a few places online where they sell refurbished ones so I might look into that, but I'd like to try to fix the wiring first.

As for the odometer, do you think that it'll spread to an electrical problem throughout the dashboard and car or stay localized in the specific area. Have they been prone to spread? It hasn't effected any of the gauges or lights...just the digital odometer flashing in and out and going all crazy like a broken calculator.

Thanks for your help...anyone else?

09-01-04, 04:42 PM   #4  
I believe tha motor has a replaceable circuit board that fails quite frequently. That is the part that is responsible for the pulse operation and that is where the problems lies. You shouldn't have to replace the entire motor. Buy it from the dealer if you can. The quality is better. If you can find it in the Delco brand in the aftermarket, that would be OK. The speedo is probably a bad dash and that's big bucks so you'll probably want to live with that problem for a while.

09-02-04, 02:48 AM   #5  
the plastic housing is easy to change out I believe it just 3 screws there is likely nothing wrong with the connector when you wiggle the connector you are actually flexing the circuit board that desi is reffering to not sure what the correct name for the part is but we are basicly talking about the same thing.
cant really say whether the dash will get any worse or just remain the same but it is possible you may lose other digital parts of the dash also and it is probably an expensive repair if going through the dealer.

OH

09-02-04, 04:19 AM   #6  
And as for the tires at least have them put the whitewalls in and then just paint the whitwalls.

09-02-04, 06:26 PM   #7  
Posted By: mattison and then just paint the whitwalls.
Paint the whitewalls????
No, you can't paint tires. Just mount them with the white inside. They'll get so dirty, you won't be able to tell they're white.

OH

09-03-04, 03:59 AM   #8  
I've done it and know tons of people that have.If you want them to look good you paint them especially on a SUV type vehicle where the inside of the tires show more. The whitewall yes will get dirty with time but you'll always see it. What's the problem with painting?

09-03-04, 10:06 AM   #9  
Posted By: mattison I've done it and know tons of people that have.
Paint it with what? Regular paint will crack and peel. Most of your "tire black" coatings are transparent.

Visiting Guest

09-03-04, 01:54 PM   #10  
nomarbicicleta
Thanks for all the help...but I have a few questions.

1. Wouldn't turning the white walls towards the inside screw me over because the air tubes would be towards the inside as well? That'd just look worse right?

I believe tha motor has a replaceable circuit board that fails quite frequently. That is the part that is responsible for the pulse operation and that is where the problems lies. You shouldn't have to replace the entire motor. Buy it from the dealer if you can. The quality is better. If you can find it in the Delco brand in the aftermarket, that would be OK. The speedo is probably a bad dash and that's big bucks so you'll probably want to live with that problem for a while.
So we're talking about a small circut board for the wiper motor right? I'd need to call the dealership and request one then remove my motor and change the board out?

the plastic housing is easy to change out I believe it just 3 screws there is likely nothing wrong with the connector when you wiggle the connector you are actually flexing the circuit board that desi is reffering to not sure what the correct name for the part is but we are basicly talking about the same thing.
So you're saying replace the plastic housing where the motor plugs into the main electric of the car? Can I get that from the dealer as well, and is that a simple thing to do? How about the electrical board?

Thanks for all your help...it's saving me money that's being stolen by publishing companies for my college books.

09-03-04, 03:27 PM   #11  
a/c delco calls the part a wiper motor pulse board module not sure if its available for your model or not just have to call around and see this part is the electronics and plastic portion that the connector plugs into.
you can try the dealer or you can try local parts stores that carry a/c delco parts if you wish to buy that brand there may be aftermarket brands available also.
if its not available for your model you would have to replace the entire wiper motor if it is available you shouldnt have to remove the wiper motor to replace the pulse board module.

09-03-04, 05:56 PM   #12  
Posted By: nomarbicicleta Thanks for all the help...but I have a few questions.

1. Wouldn't turning the white walls towards the inside screw me over because the air tubes would be towards the inside as well? That'd just look worse right?
Hahaha.....nooooo you dismount the tire and just turn the tire. The wheel still faces the same way.

Bejay's got you squared away with the wiper board. It shoud be everything you need.

OH

09-04-04, 05:31 AM   #13  
Just black spray paint. If the tires clean it'll stay for the life of the tire. A thin coat does the trick .

Visiting Guest

09-08-04, 02:05 PM   #14  
nomarbicicleta
Thanks for your guy's help with this. I went to the A/C Delco website and searched for "wiper motor pulse board module" and variations of that and couldn't find anything. Any other idea or website that might have that? Also...how would you replace it? Is it in the plastic casing that plugs into the electrical or is it in the motor so I'd have to remove it from the car?

As for the tires...I'll clean them off and carefully spray paint. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by nomarbicicleta; 09-10-04 at 12:28 PM.

Visiting Guest

09-10-04, 12:29 PM   #15  
nomarbicicleta
Thanks for your guy's help with this. I went to the A/C Delco website and searched for "wiper motor pulse board module" and variations of that and couldn't find anything. Any other idea or website that might have that? Also...how would you replace it? Is it in the plastic casing that plugs into the electrical or is it in the motor so I'd have to remove it from the car?

As for the tires...I'll clean them off and carefully spray paint. Thanks for the help!

09-10-04, 02:46 PM   #16  
A 1 Cardone part # is 401030pb should be about 27 bucks.Rockauto.com has them.If you want the GM part # let me know I'll ask my parts guy at work.You can change it very easily with a small male torx socket and ratchet.

09-10-04, 06:11 PM   #17  
I don't know what Davo's experience has been with A1-Cardone but I think they make junk. I would spend the extra few bucks for the Delco. I doubt you'll find it online though. Try a wholesale jobber, not the discount houses. Last resort, the dealer.

Search this Thread