Stiff shifting on my Jeep Wrangler

Old 09-01-04, 05:53 PM
sicando
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Stiff shifting on my Jeep Wrangler

I have gotten such good advice at the site, I am hoping you can help with this problem with my 1991 Jeep Wrangler 4.o 5sp. I had the trans. worked on 3 years ago, and the tech. said that 2nd gear will be a little stiff until it "wears in" with the rest of the gears as that was what he fixed. Well, the issue I have now, is the gears in general shift hard until I am up to running temp. and then all is ok, including 2nd gear. I was told by a few (two) Jeep owners that this is not uncommon with Jeeps, and to solve the problem, I should flush out the trans. fluid thats in there, and get a better trans. fluid, and they gave me a name of a 'good one', which I don't know if I can say here. Anyway, my guestion is... is there a trans. fluid that will solve this problem, and get the gears to shift smooth right away? Can you tell me the name? Is all this hoowee, and I shouldn't bother changing fluids cause the car needs to warm up no matter what I have in the Trans. Thanks for any advice in this area.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-04, 03:24 AM
its possible you would see an improvement by changing the fluid but I would suggest you stick with whatever the manufacturer recomends as per type of fluid to use, you may be able to switch to synthetic fluid of the same type as they tend to not be affected by temperature as bad as convential oil or transmission fluid.

Old 09-02-04, 06:25 PM
sicando
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up synthetic trans. fluid

That is what was recomended, but I wanted to be sure that is was ok to do that if I use the same type of fluid that the owners manual calls for. It seems to be the temp. that makes it stiff, cause it does fine once I'm at running temp. Thanks

Search this Thread