Cadillac Catera

Old 09-02-04, 02:14 PM
Cadillac Catera

Hi;

1999 catera that does not start after having been driven for 20-30 minute trips. My wife and I waited 45-60 minutes and then it started.

Coolant light has been on for 3 months even though the coolant is full and the car does not overheat - this is a secondary issue. Also, about 1 week ago the break indicator came on so I am having the breaks redone this weekend.

Any idea why the car will not start after a 20-30 minute drive? Dealer wants $80 to analyze and if I get it fixed there they give me a $80 credit. Sure.

Thanks.

Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-04, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by boblally
Hi;

Coolant light has been on for 3 months even though the coolant is full and the car does not overheat - this is a secondary issue. Also, about 1 week ago the break indicator came on so I am having the breaks redone this weekend.
It's only a secondary issue until that false information causes you to lose a motor because you ignored the light. Most of those "low coolant" sensors in GM products share their 5v reference with all the other sensors and can cause all kinds of problems.
It sounds like your dealer is making you a very fair offer. We don't have crystal balls and can't begin to tell you what's happening with your car. It sounds like it's time to part with a little cash and fix some of these "known" problems because you can't know what's related and what isn't.

Old 09-03-04, 11:32 AM
McDann
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by boblally
Dealer wants $80 to analyze and if I get it fixed there they give me a $80 credit. Sure.
You would expect a shop to diagnose your problem for free if you had it repaired somewhere else?

There is no magic involved in diagnosing a modern vehicle, it takes a well trained and well equipped technician using proper diagnostic procedures which you are obliged to pay for.
If this dealer is willing to wave the diagnostic fee if you have them repair the vehicle I donít see where you loose. The person I do see loosing is the technician that doesnít get paid for the diagnostic time but Iím sure that is of no concern of yours.