Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Heater/AC fan starting tofail

PA

09-04-04, 07:40 AM   #1  
Heater/AC fan starting tofail

I have a 2000 NISSAN Quest. This is basically the same thing as a Mercury Villager. The fan for the Heater/AC is starting to fail. The switch is a rotay knob with 4 positions. (1,2,3 and 4) I think position one was always off, but about 2 weeks ago, position two would not work. Then yesterday, position three stopped working. Position 4 still works but this is at full power.

I guess it could be the switch, but does anybody know how I could test this? And is there somehting between the switch and the fan, perhaps a relay of some type?

"Update" - From reading other posts on this site ,it may be a 'blower resistor'. I know it's behind the dash but does anybody know where on this van? Any more info on how to test it?

Sponsored Links

PA

09-06-04, 09:49 AM   #2  
The fix for blower resistor

This part is located under the dash (there is no need to remove anything - lay on you back and look up the underside of the passenger side dash).

You should see a hex head screw (5/16") holding in a rectangular black plastic piece (about 3/4" x 5"). There is a four connector plug attached to this piece. Remove the one hex head screw you can see and feel for the other one behind the piece. You can remove the 1 inch rubber hose to gain access.

Once you get it out look it over. Mine had a big black burn mark on both sides.

The dealer wanted $40. I found a nissan parts place on line that wanted about $9 (plus shipping). The fan still works (albeit at full force only) with the resistor removed so I waited for it to come by mail.

Search this Thread