Dodge 3.0 twin cam timing belt install

Old 09-05-04, 10:33 AM
Negoshe8n
Visiting Guest
Dodge 3.0 twin cam timing belt install

I have a 90 spirit with the twin cam 3.0 v6. I just put new heads on. I have been trying to get the timing belt on right, but with no success. I have the chiltons book on it and have repeated the install over and over and over again just as the book says too. I can't get it to fire. The timing marks are perfect after two turns and then tighening the cam tensoner. Distributor is in the right position on #1 at TDC. # one is the cylinder just under the alternator, correct? Yes at TDC the # 1 piston is all the way up. That is how it should be at #1 TDC right!? ALL the marks line up at TDC. I do not have the alternator installed until I know the timing is on and it starts, will that not let the motor start at all? The battery has a full charge. I figure it would at least start without the alt. on, right? I'm ready to tow it into the shop and pay the cash, but really just want this done myself. Any help please...

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-04, 08:52 PM
You are on #1 TDC but are you sure you are on TDC compression? If you are the valves fro #1 will be closed.

Old 09-06-04, 10:31 AM
Negoshe8n
Visiting Guest
The cams would have to be in the correct position. They are clearly marked and they only have one revolution for the timing.

Old 09-06-04, 11:35 AM
McDann
Visiting Guest
Assuming the cam timing is correct, have you checked for spark, proper fuel pressure and injector pulse? And how about compression?

Old 09-06-04, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Negoshe8n
The cams would have to be in the correct position. They are clearly marked and they only have one revolution for the timing.
If it was running when you took it apart and did not rotate the cams or crank you should be fine but if the belt had broken or stripped or if you rotated the crank or cams you can have it 180 degrees out of time.

Old 09-08-04, 10:17 PM
squidgrouch
Visiting Guest
Be sure you are on #1, at the distributor. The rotor may seem like it is pointing to #1, but if you look in the cap, the terminal is on the opposite side. Your cam belt is probably fine. I hope you replaced the exhaust valve guides, while it was apart.