recommended ATF 99 jetta 2.0???

Old 09-05-04, 01:42 PM
recommended ATF 99 jetta 2.0???

I cannot find newhere what type of ATF my 99 jetta gls takes. 2.0 liter. I found that it has to be a VW fluid, but I guess it is $30 liter. I don't believe that some company makes a fluid that will work other than the pricey dealer fluid. Anybody know if another brand makes a substitute? otherwise what type does it take.......mercon, type F? I cannot find info newhere???
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-04, 07:45 PM
some aftermarket companies do make ATF for these VWs( Carquest, $9 quart), but the proceedure for checking the fluid level is extensive and involves a scanner tthat can read data streams.

Old 09-06-04, 06:44 PM
Adding or draining/refilling tranny fluid in a Jetta is NOT something for the DIYer.

A former co-worker of mine (who is also an auto mechanic) did his '97 Jetta and ended up parking it until he could afford to purchase another transmission - about 4-5K new and 1500-1600 used!

Pay the VW dealer for this one. You won't regret it.

Matt

Old 09-06-04, 07:22 PM
The nearest dealer is over 2 hrs away. I should I trust a tranny shop to do it?

Old 09-06-04, 09:02 PM
Not unless they can prove to your satisfaction that they have the tools and skill necessary to do the job right.

You may want to speak with a VW technician on what's involved and then speak with the tranny shop tech and see if what he says matches the VW tech.

I'm on vacation this week, so I don't have ready access to tech data or I'd post it for your review.

Given the chance of having to buy a trans for your Jetta, I'd proceed very cautiously.

Good Luck,

Matt

Search this Thread