mixing oil

Old 09-06-04, 11:30 AM
ironhawk
Visiting Guest
Is it ok to mix different weight oils?

Is there any reason that I can't mix 3 quarts of 5w-30 and 1 quart of 10w-30 to put in my windstar engine so I can get rid of the excess oil I have?

Last edited by ironhawk; 09-06-04 at 12:42 PM. Reason: didn't like previous title
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-04, 01:35 PM
moochy1
Visiting Guest
mixing oil

I would mix oil only if it's same brand, I was taught all oil brands are good. when you use same oil over a long period it builds a base or film inside your engine and if you change that to a different brand oil with stronger cleaners or things called ash and soon it will cut your base and start it's own base. This has a lot to do your motor getting sludged up, when the different brand oil cuts the film from your engine it will just build up in your oil pan and clog the oil pump strainer. I've seen the results just a mess.My engines you could just about eat off of them by just sticking to one brand I know it's hard with all these Quickie oil change places just pick you out a nice brand oil and stick to it, It's important you will get more miles out of your engine no doubt. Hope this helps

Old 09-06-04, 02:51 PM
Group Moderator
I wouldn't sweat doing what you asked about.........

Old 09-15-04, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
I wouldn't sweat doing what you asked about.........
Ditto. Wont harm anything.

Search this Thread