fan blower died

Old 09-07-04, 06:25 AM
fan blower died

I have a 1996 Ford Explorer. The fan blower has stopped working. All fuses are fine. Checked the fan motor with a meter and there's no power going to it....Do you know if there's a relay or the like that might be suspect?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-04, 02:58 PM
Check the blower motor resistor it will be located on the blower case somewhere.If it appears ok check the fan speed switch.Also check related wiring for opens.

Old 09-07-04, 06:48 PM
thanks Davo!

Old 09-18-04, 10:21 AM
blow me away

Davo

I pulled the fan motor. There is no resistor that I can see on the casing. Would it be in line from the power supply? Wrapped up in the wire somewhere? Can you tell me where I can locate the fan speed switch? I did replace a resistor some time ago, the fan only operated on high, could that be the problem again? This time however I get no blower at all.

Not to sound an idiot, there are two leads going into the fan blower casing that I pulled. I have a spare battery, can I check the motor by running a positive and negative lead to this plug?

Thanks again.

Old 09-18-04, 12:34 PM
Yes you can test it that way. If it runs it will be on high speed.

Old 09-18-04, 01:52 PM
Thanks Car Nut....the blower tested fine. Any other places I should go looking, sure sounds like something minor.....

Old 09-18-04, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by jvirtue
Thanks Car Nut....the blower tested fine. Any other places I should go looking, sure sounds like something minor.....
Sorry I don't know where the resistor is on your vehicle.
Like Davo said they are usually on the bolwer housing somewhere with an electrical plug.

Old 09-18-04, 02:47 PM
The EVTM for 96 shows 2 fuses - one in the in car fuse panel and one in the underhood fuse panel - as well as a relay that could affect your blower motor. Your owners manual should direct you to their locations.

Jim Warman
Senior Ford technician
Diesel certified
SL Ford Sales, Slave Lake, Alberta
Rescue tech/Engineer, Lesser Slave River Regional Fire Service

Old 09-19-04, 05:24 AM
Thanks so much for the replies. I'll have another look for another resistor now that I have the room. I'm also going to replave any fuses related to the blower whether they look blown or not.

Old 09-21-04, 03:07 PM
well that didn't work either, so much for 'doing it myself'....throwing in the towel, thanks to all for taking the time to reply