Air Conditioning problem

Old 09-07-04, 10:33 AM
caz
Visiting Guest
Air Conditioning problem

I drive a 91 Honda Civic DX and I am having a problem with my air conditioning. When I turn it on, it will come on just fine at first and blow very cold air. However, after a while the air becomes only semi-cool and humid. I can still hear the compressor turn on, but for some reason it stops cooling the air properly. Strangely, this problem seems to have something to do with a change in my driving speed. For example, the AC will be doing just fine while I'm on the highway, but after I exit and slow down, the air will get warm and it will stay warm until the car has been off for maybe an hour or so. When this problem has occured, I have tried disengaging the AC button for a while, turning it on and off, and blowing hot air through the system but the only thing that fixes it is turning the car off for a while. Anyone have any idea what's causing this? Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-04, 10:58 AM
You're probably low on Freon. I would have a shop do an AC check and see what they find. AC work is not a DYI project. A 91 car will also use R12 refrigerant.

Old 09-07-04, 12:04 PM
caz
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply! I had the AC recharged and retrofitted at the beginning of the summer and they told me there were no leaks and everything checked out just fine!

Old 09-07-04, 02:40 PM
If the a/c wasn't leaking why did you recharge it with r134a?R134a will leak out faster than r-12 and raises system pressure further compounding problems with older tired systems.The evap may be freezing up from an improper amount of r134a.Maybe the cooling system fan is not working properly.

Old 09-07-04, 06:42 PM
When you drive on the highway, are you reducing the cooling by turning the fan down instead of the temp control?
I also agree with Davo, Retrofitting causes problems, especially if it wasn't necessary but let me warn you, refrigerant doesn't dissapear. If it was low, it has a leak. They just couldn't find it.

Old 09-09-04, 01:40 PM
caz
Visiting Guest
I think I may of mis-spoke. I think the system was retrofitted a few years ago. This summer it was just recharged. I was under the impression that older cars HAD to be retrofitted. Anyway, if it is a leak the problem wouldn't be so intermittent would it? Also, to answer your question, yes, when I was on the highway i would turn down the fan and not the temp control. Is there anyting i can do about the evap freezing up or the cooling system fan as you suggested? Any other ideas about what is causing this?
Thanks.

Old 09-09-04, 06:35 PM
No, older cars do not HAVE to be retrofitted. I repair R12 systems every day. The fact that you recharged the system proves you have a leak. It could be many things including low on refrigerant. You really need to have it diagnosed and leak tested by a COMPETENT shop. Beware of any shop that recharges you and sends you on your way without telling you where the leak is. It definately has one large enough to find if they knew what they were doing. You may have other problems also but that is one of them. When your driving on the highway and you need to turn the temp down, start using the temp controls. Turning the fan to low speed will sometimes lead to freezing.