mustang

Old 09-07-04, 11:28 AM
royalet
Visiting Guest
mustang

ok heres the deal i had a thread out about a 5.0 89 not having ac or heat, i ask the guy why, he said it has a cobra upper and lower intake, thats why the heat isnt connected, but their is a way but he doesnt know how, i s this possible?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-04, 01:42 PM
A Cobra upper and lower intake on a '89 5-liter would not affect the cabin heat in any way
It's something else...

Old 09-07-04, 01:46 PM
royalet
Visiting Guest
mustang

what would be your sugesstion, hook it up when i go see the car, reconeect the hoses?>

Old 09-07-04, 01:58 PM
You haven't seen it?
Hmmm... yeah if the connections are there try and hook it back up
He doesn't know how because he forgot what went where or he doesn't know how because he fudged it?
Let me find your other post
I'll be back

Old 09-07-04, 02:09 PM
Well bejay's right about a drivable street car (a racing stripper may have a lot missing)
And any car that's set up for racing is suspect for having been abused
This must figure into the purchase price (lower)
That being said I can tell you it is common practice on these cars to run a "short belt", a smaller than normal accesory belt that bypasses the ac, and sometimes the power steering pump
That's easy (get a stock belt)
They may have ripped off the compressor for weight
That's bad, you may want to live w/o ac, it'll be pricey
I don't know why they disconnected the heat, unless they wanted to lower weight to the extreme and rip out the heater core
or in the process of their mods, they can't or forgot how it goes
You need more info from these guys
If you go see it take some pictures

Old 09-08-04, 08:26 AM
royalet
Visiting Guest
mustang

Thanks alot well i am suppose to see the car this weekend, if i am not mistaken it should be quite easy to reconnect correct, ok say that the core is out ,that can be replaced at a low cost correct, and could their be any major reasons a person would disconect the heat or any signs to look for when the car is running, or should i just let it run for 20 mins or so

Old 09-08-04, 09:10 AM
If it's all there, reconnect it, run it 15-20min, with the heat on, and check for leaks

Heater cores on these cars are normally a PITA
The dash has to come out
But if this ones stripped that may not be an issue

Someone might have a leaky core and bypass it rather than fix it because it's not a daily driver

You're gonna have to take a good long realistic look at this car, and get the full story from the seller
And a full list of mods and parts and who installed them
I'm guessing they threw some go-fast parts at it, chopped it up and ran out of interest or money
Now they think it's "worth something" because of the cash they threw at it

I'm seeing red flags all over the place

Old 09-08-04, 04:10 PM
Slick is right on the money with his assesment.

Just about every mustang guy out there trying to go fast rips out the a/c or bypasses it first thing off the bat with an a/c eliminator bracket.

The heater cores go bad VERY often in these cars, and I can almost gaurantee you it leaks, and that's why it was bypassed.

fyi, I've got a really good tech article on heater core replacement with pics, and some other mustang specific tech on my site

http://50stangs.com/techarticles/heatercore.html